Missouri River Float Trip

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by just cats, Nov 7, 2006.

1. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    No place to launch my big boat and it just keeps getting worse. Minus two foot on the gauge and still dropping. I'm desparate , not going to spend the whole winter dry-docked so I'm loading up my little fourteen footer this weekend into the back of my truck, tossin in a couple paddles , two rods, a cast net,dip net, hooks , sinkers, extra line and a small cooler with some snacks and I'll drag it off my truck and into the water. I'm going to float down to the next ramp and fish along the way. Then I'll call my wife to come get me and take me back to my truck. Don't have sonar on this boat so I'll be fishin blind but it sure beats sitting at home and wishing I was fishing. Also going to take my camera and get some pics of dikes and other structure I've never seen before for future reference.Wish me luck guys.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sounds like you have a well thought out plan. hopefully the weather will be nice and you hook into some big ones.Enjoy your self and be careful out there on those waters.Keep us posted as to how you did over the weekend.

3. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Enjoy your time out there Jack, with the river low it provides a great opportunity to see and learn more of it. I've been bringing my crappie rod along this last couple of months with it drop shot rigged. I'd probe around snags and caught some awesome river crappie and one flathead on minnows... My main reason was to check depth and feel the bottom, with a bonus fish every now and then. I use fire line and you can FEEL everything getting a better picture than any electronics can produce. Enjoy brother

4. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Good luck on your float trip Jack.Have a safe trip and keep us posted.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I ran into some folks taking out at Waverly this summer who had done just what you are talking about, looked like they had a lot of fun. I would have thought a jon boat would be hard to steer and control in that current, but they said it was no problem.

Have fun out there and be careful!

6. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to it, just wish we didn't have another cold front moving in here just in time to screw up the fishing. But being able to see things that I've never seen exposed before should be very interesting and hopefully helpful later on when the river is back to a normal flow. In spite of how bad it's messing up everyones fishing , at the same time I believe it's an opportunity to learn things about your particular section of river that you would never be able to learn otherwise. No matter how good you are at reading your sonar it can't compare with actually seeing the bottom and other structure ,and that is exactly what you can do in many places now. I would urge any of you that can to get out there and look around and take some pictures and some notes . It can only benefit you later on, sure can't hurt. I drove over to the ramp last night just for the heck of it and it's strange to say the least. I talked to an old river man last night who said it's right near the lowest he's ever seen it and that that was in the early sixties so it's been a long time since it's been like this . Checked the river level site just now and it's down to minus 2.4 foot now, .4 less than Tuesday. Wonder where it will bottom out!

7. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Well the trip is history and unfortunately not much to talk about. Two very small blue cats and no good hits at all. But it was interesting and I saw some things I've never seen before, took some pictures and learned a couple things along the way. I also realized about half way through the trip that I'm too old to spend all day in a small cramped up jon boat. If I do that again I will make room for a lawn chair to make the trip a bit easier on my back. I might do it again later on if the river continues to drop enough to expose more structure. Good fishin guys.

8. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    What was the current like , was it hard to keep the small boat under control

9. cougar

cougar New Member

State:
    Green Ridge, Missouri
    I'd like to know the same thing. Did you cross the river using paddles? Was it very easy controlling the boat in the currant?

10. just cats

just cats New Member

State:
    Leslie Missouri
    Still plenty of current on the Mo. but no problems dealing with it.I wouldn't try to paddle upriver though, too much current for that. I stayed to one side and didn't cross over but no doubt I could have although you'd drift down while crossing but it wouldn't have been a problem. I just wasn't that ambitious to try it. But you shouldn't have any problems handling the boat, the only current that was strong enough to take you where you might not want to go was at the tips of the dikes. Just take a wide birth and swing in below and approach from behind them if you want to anchor and fish there. The only problem I had was I couldn't paddle fast enough to make the asian carp jump into the boat.:lol: If you are considering a float like I did I highly recommend doing it. You'll be amazed at how different the river looks at this level. If the river drops another foot which it looks like it may before it's done, then I plan on doing it again for the same reasons I did the first one. Mainly to get a look at new structure I haven't seen before. And maybe you'll even catch some fish. To be safe I'd definitly wear a life jacket though, always a good idea , whether in a row boat or with an outboard , but even more so in this cold weather.Good fishin.