missouri river flatheads

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by DAREWOOD11, Sep 16, 2008.

1. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    i will be fishing the missouri for the first time where the nishnabotna runs into it....im goin to be mostly fishing for flatheads and i have never fished the big river b4 so i was lookin for any tips on where to look for flatheads in the big river...thanks

2. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    If fishing from a boat, find the pilings and work you way down them. I catch more flatheads up there than blues.

Find snags on both banks.
    Also try the rip rap banks.
    There are a lot of flatheads up there!

Be careful

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    How did your fishing go, I would be very interested in your report

4. Biluecat

Biluecat New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I've only fished it by Nebraska City, behind the riprap where the water has cut out holes, some very deep! , word from the wise, if ya dont wanna wear a life jacket, then tie one to ya!! under current is wicked!!

These areas also make a safer retreat for when the barges come through!!

5. cocatfish

cocatfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The missouri is moving on right know. Its going to tough to fish anywhere with all the trees and brush coming down. Right now I would hit the mouths of creeks and soughs. Sructure, structure, structure is all the flat head wants for their front yard. If your not getting hung up, your probally not where the flats are. Good luck.

6. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    let us know how you do!

7. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    well i got back yesterday...the river was pretty good i thought...not to high and only dropped round 6 inches. the fishing however was not very good. it was my first time on the big river and i need more practice i think. i fished the pilings and the wingdam scour holes and all kinds of cover from 1 foot to cover in 15 foot of water and i only caught 2 little flatheads and one little blue and i guess one small channel. maybe next time somebody would like to go fishing with me and my buddy and maybe show us the ropes a little. i got a boat so i would just need someone to show us the ropes. im used to fishin small rivers and lots of cover where 5 to 10 feet of water is a decent sized hole...anyways thanks for all the info!!! good luck to u all.

andy

8. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    Sounds like you did really good to me....you caught a couple fish and made it back to the ramp in one piece without tearing up any of your stuff or falling in or anything. I didn't catch nothing but a wet ass my first couple of times out. Still haven't caught anything but channel cats and gar and drum.Keep plugging away.I do really well on the channel cats in small lakes and don't get out on the river much.These guys will help you though just keep peppering them with questions and bugging them to take you out.Offer to buy gas and bait and they are more likely to take you.I'm gonna be hitting the river hard these next couple of months since the channels are about pooped out...only 15 the last time out.

9. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Keep us posted on how you do?