Missouri river fishing during the daytime

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Incoming06, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Incoming06

Incoming06 New Member

State:
    Missouri, St. Joseph
    Where should you fish during the day on the missouri river i've heard outside bends and scour holes above the dykes. I havent figured out where to anchor and at what part of the bend to fish. The current in pretty swift and 8 oz. are the bare minimum. If a guy wants to get into some fish during the day where would you go. Also these guys that are catching all these big fish all the time where are they fishing does anyone know? Im just a beginner so any information you have would be great!

2. camochris2

camochris2 New Member

State:
    nebraska city nebraska
    it all depends on what kinda of cats your fishing for you should be able to hook in to a cat all times of the day for big cats i do best on a wing dike thats just me but you have to put your time in you can not just go out 1 a month and catch fish try difent things and you will get more cats

3. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    I have not caught anything like most of these guys but from what I have learned if you fish off dikes, check the dike out with a fish finder and try to get as close to the hole as below the dike as you can..Cuz says to drop anchor at the end of the dike and let out line untill you are right above the hole..he is catching monsters all the time. If you try to fish the outside bends you may have to anchor with a long rope to get it to hold in the current of the Missouri. Another thing you might want to look for is while going up stream along one of these outside bends is small indents that you can pull into with your boat and be out of the main current and be able to get a couple lines out into the current..

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    This is really good advice Dave just gave you. You need to be fishing the deep holes this time of year during daylight hours. The big Kitty's are lying down there in that cool water and arent very aggressive. You need to put your bait right on there snout. Early mornings, evenings, and nightime hours are more productive for sure. Trial and error will teach you alot. We each fish different waters with varying conditions. Using the information on this site, you can match the techinques to the conditions you have. I know the Missouri River is alot shallower than the Mississippi where I fish at, and that may have a big impact on the fish. Keep trying, you will find them soon.

5. Incoming06

Incoming06 New Member

State:
    Missouri, St. Joseph
    Thanks for the info guys its not that im new to fishing the river its just all ive ever fished for is the flatties. In these tournaments around here the guys i see bringing the big blues in all the time are fishing the main channel of the river. I have spent a good deal of time fishing above and in the scour holes with not much luck? I'm using all the right bait just need to pin point where they are.