Missouri River fish safe to eat?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jailcop2, Aug 5, 2006.

1. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    I live in the Omaha Neb area , has anyone heard of the fish coming out of the Missouri River not being safe to eat?
    Thanks
    Brian

2. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    to be truthful, fish that come out of any river or stream in the country probably arent safe to eat! seems like pcb and mercury advisories are pretty common just about everywhere. i fish and eat alot of the fish tha come out of the ohio river and there are advisories out for the river. the annual fishing and boating guide put out by ky. dept. of fish and wildlife gives guidelines on safe fish consumption levels. i'm sure your state probably does the same. i would contact your local fish and wildlife agency. personally, from all i have read and heard i don't really pay that much attention to the guidelines. i really don't consume enough fish to lose sleep over it. besdes, i probably already have some form of cancer from working in a filthy nasty factory for the last 15 years!

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Personally, I am not eating ANY fish over five pounds from ANY river or lake. They just act as a filter for for all the heavy metals in the water.

4. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Check with either your state's water quality people or the state fish and wildlife folk. Usually, they'll list advisories against eating fish. Usually, its a quantity issue, not a total ban, and even then, its often for women of child bearing age or pregnant women and children. The two most toxic substances acting short term seem to be dioxen and maybe pcb's. Mercury is a problem because it builds up in your system. And, of all the catfish we catch, its channels that usually are listed as the ones to minimize consumption.

5. From a few guys back home that do a lot of fishing on the Missouri down by Brownville and the Nuclear Plant have never been concerned about high levels of pollutants. There are so man people that fish down near the Nuclear Plant that you think there would have been word passed around about bad fish. I personally don't think there is much of a concern about taking fish out anywhere on the Missouri or any stream in the midwest for that matter. But its also better to be safe than sorry so I would check the game and parks website or just call your local game warden about pollutant levels.

6. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    that can be a hard one, but i would say it matters on the local area that you are pullin the fish from.

I fish the cumberland river mostly, and eat a lot of fish....but there definitely certain portions of the river that i would NOT eat fish from.
    There's a large metro landfill within a few hundred yards of the river at one spot that i would choose not to eat fish from within a few miles downstream.

In Oregon, there was a river that a lot of people took salmon from that i would not even fish. It was a river that served as an "overflow outlet for the metro water treatment plant"..in other words, at times raw sewage was dumped into the river. I worked with a guy that jet-skied on the river a lot and he would often joke about dodgin turds in the water.

To sum it up...there's a lot crap in the water these days...but there's a TON of chemicals in the food we buy at the grocery stores anymore.
    Common sense would seem to dictate the proper decision.

cyas
    rc

7. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    According to the MNDNR.

Tips for reducing contaminants:

1. Eat smaller fish. Large fish contain higher levels of contaminants.

2. Eat more pan fish (sunfish, crappies) and fewer predator fish (walleyes, northern pike, lake trout).

3. Trim skin fat, especially belly fat. Also, eat fewer fatty fish such as carp, catfish, and lake trout. PCBs build up in fish fat.

This came right from the Minnesota 2006 fishing regulations hand book.

hope this helps.

8. Blue Kayak

Blue Kayak New Member

State:
    MN
    I am not sure how much you can rely on your state to warn you about fish that may or may not be safe. I am from Minnesota and we have many more fish advisories than neighboring states. I doubt our fish are more polluted than the fish in neighboring states. The guidelines in the previous post are good advice no matter where you live.

Jerry

9. IL_CATFISH

IL_CATFISH New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I believe eating fish from bodies of water near coal power plants and air force bases/large airports are the most dangerous. I know the actual burning of coal and jet fuels create a dangerously high by-product of mercury. I read that in a magazine somewhere.

10. flatheadmaniac

flatheadmaniac New Member

State:
    Missouri
    you know i dont think that eating fish would be any different then going to mcdonalds theses days. i mean with all the chemicals they put in there food, hell there probly worse then eating fish outta the river.

11. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The MDC told me not to eat catfish from the Mississippi River more than once a week if they are over seven pounds.

12. jailcop2

jailcop2 New Member

State:
    iowa
    Thanks for the advise all , guess I'll try some smaller ones .
    Brian

13. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
  14. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Someone may have to correct me on this but I don't think Missouri Game Wardens reccommend eating anything over 10 pounds.-------pk powell:smile2:

15. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Follow the little linky-dinky in my post above and you'll learn everything you need to know... :smile2: