Missouri River Catfish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by 89Ricky89, Jul 12, 2009.

1. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey all! Anyone having any luck on the big muddy yet? A friend and I are going for a two day adventure in the Council Bluffs area Wednesday and Thursday. Any info would be great!! Good luck to all!!

2. nanookofthenish

nanookofthenish New Member

State:
    sw iowa
    Hey, Rickey, glad to hear you're going out for a two day'er. We've decided to lay low until near the end of July to make sure we're out of the spawn. Let us all know how you do. We dont usually go that far north on the Mo after about early April because of the rec. boaters all over up there. But if you can put up with that, there are alot of monsters caught up that way.
    Looks like the levels are up around 3ft according to the usgs website, so finding prime camsites may be difficult. Bring a weed wacker of some type and lots of bug spray. Good luck, man. The freaks come out at night for fresh, lively, live baits.

3. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for the info! We're heading out Wednesday morning and will fish until Friday, so I'll report back then. I'm looking forward to the night fishing, I love to kick back and fish until the sun comes up! Hopefully the water level won't be too much of a problem. I'm used to fishing at dams so I definately have the weight (6 and 8 oz) if I need them. Good luck all!

4. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Did you get any thing..I live a block from the walking bridge and want to go tomarrow and try even though the river is high!

5. 89Ricky89

89Ricky89 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    We caught some smaller channel, lost a big blue that tangled up in the trees. It was really a slow time. The water was just a little too high to fish from the bank. Good luck to you!

6. nanookofthenish

State:
    sw iowa
    Hey Ricky, Sorry to hear you didnt have a better trip, I was afraid the higher waters might have plagued you. We're thinking of trying it out down south by Hamburg either next weekend the 25th, or maybe the one after. We've got some spots down there that we know will work with a 2ft rise, but not a 4ft, and so on. The usgs streamflow website is invaluable in planning fishing trips, once you associate what the numbers mean. We have used their data for the last 3 or 4 years on both the big Mo and the interior streams, and we would be lost without it now I feel. Better luck next time, man! C-ya!

7. mr.snag

mr.snag New Member

State:
    IA
    can i get the link for that stream flow site ?

8. nanookofthenish

State:
    sw iowa
    Hey, Josh. I will try a copy 'n paste type of thing, but I'm not super computer literate and may just have to type it out long hand. We'll see...

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ia/nwis/current/?type=flow&group_key=NONE

Whoa! That may have just worked! Let me know. The key here is to associate a given level with something that you have known and experienced. I.E. 16 ft level at Omaha doesnt jive with a 22ft level at Decatur, but that is because of the different standards at those locations. Once you know what is 'normal' at any given point you can then know if it is up 3 ft, down 2ft, or whatever. One neat feature is being able to see a surge from rainfall or dam release via the Sioux City site, and from experience being able to predict when the rise will hit your intended area of fishing. They really do need a gauging station below the Platte river in Nebraska, but above Neb. City, because the platte often gets a buttload of rains that surprise us down south by Hamburg. Good luck!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  9. nanookofthenish

State:
    sw iowa
    p.s. - incase it isn't obvious, click on the left bar of blue highlighted numbers to see the history of your intended gauging station. You can change the history up to I think 60 days, if I remember right. The history also gets you hip to things like 'well our favorite spot is good now, but was underwater 3 days ago, so it's probably a mudfest', and so on. C-ya!

10. mr.snag

mr.snag New Member

State:
    IA
    Thanks a lot man i will look into it