Missouri River Boat ramps around Sioux City

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by beeheck, Jun 14, 2007.

1. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Can anyone find a list or know of boat ramps South of Sioux City, IA. Would like to get down around Sloan/Onawa or a little further South. I can't find any listed on the internet and I've done the Google thing and gone down the river with it, no luck. You would think the State would have a list some where but I can't find one. Thanks!

2. SDHogs

SDHogs New Member

State:
    SE tip of South Dakota
    I am not sure about boat ramps South of the Sioux City ramps, but I figured I would chime in since I live real close to there. I live by McCook Lake area if you know where that is. I usually use the few ramps that are a little ways north of Sioux City. Also, I just joined so it is nice to see that there are some people in the area already! :)

3. onlyriverfish

onlyriverfish Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Name:
    james
    beeheck,
    Just look up and buy copy of the Mo. River navagation map from the corp. of Eng. and will have all ramps on river. Only costs a few dollars and is nice to have for learning the area's. Still need to know which ramps are "vehicle safe" too, but would give ya a start.

4. SDHogs

SDHogs New Member

State:
    SE tip of South Dakota
    Hey Bill,

I got your PM, but it looks like the forum has a rule that I can't send a PM until I have at least 10 posts. We fish in the Big Sioux around Stone State Park and the Jefferson bridge if you are familiar with those places. They are on the IA side of the river, but we go there anyways since it is border waters. We haven't had a whole lot of luck yet this year, but my friend's uncle landed a 5 and 8lber last weekend. Not bad for us since we usually land pretty small ones around here whether we are in the Missouri or big Sioux.

My friend went with his uncle up north a few weeks ago and they caught 20 some pan sized cats, so that was apparantly a pretty good spot they found. It may have been by Akron or farther north, I can't really remember what he said. I'll have to ask.

The current in the Missouri can get a little wild for some and it isn't for everybody. Especially up by the damn where we ocassionally fish at. We go to Fort Randell Dam once or twice a year for cats and walleye and thats some really heavy current to deal with. Have you caught any fish this year in the spots South of Sioux City you are talking about? We were actually already thinking about getting a Iowa license this year to try some places. I may have to put that into consiferation if we end up getting one. Sounds like fun, if we could catch some good fish down there! Let me know if you want to go fishing some time. I don't know if you only have an Iowa license, but maybe we could put something together. :)

5. SDHogs

SDHogs New Member

State:
    SE tip of South Dakota
    Thats a good idea. Luckily I know most of the ramps around this area or know someone I could ask and find out. The Missouri I think is still pretty low around here, so you have a hard time even getting into some of the ramps around here.

6. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    http://www.nwk.usace.army.mil/RiverCharts/RiverCharts.htm

the link isn't printing right, it's right up to ....army.mil/RiverCharts/RiverCharts.htm

Here is a link to the navagation map(s) for the Missouri River from St. Louis to Ponca State Park in Nebraska. The one for Sioux City and South is "INDEX OMAHA M" you can print them and tape them together or just print the ones you need. I think this one is good enough that I need to start a new thread with it so anyone on the Missouri River can find it easily. Oh yeah, they don't have any maps for sale, they are out and don't know when they will be printed again. bummer

7. porkchopper

porkchopper New Member

State:
    Sioux City, Iowa
    Bill ,I know of 2 boat ramps south of Sioux City .
    Wheatland : so. of airport and Sargent Bluff
    County Line: a mile so. of Winne Vegas right on the Woodbury and Monona county line. If you want you can give pm or something and I could give you good directions , I don't know if I can pm anyone yet ,I don't have enough post yet.

8. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    OK, moderator says that even if the link is shortened in the post if it is entered correctly it should direct you to the link. Didn't try it before I started typing but will when I'm done and if it works I'll leave it alone, if it doesn't I'll repost that that it didn't. Or something like that. I guess.