Missouri River Blue Catfish feedback

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dougc, Mar 7, 2006.

1. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Went out last Sunday in hopes of catching some blues. Checked out several wing dams and found lots of big fish, some suspended and some on the bottom. Had fresh cut shad for bait, but got nothing more than a few bites. Water temp was 46-47 degrees. Should we start hitting the flats for aggressive feeders or stick to fishing deep holes? Fishing from 291 to I-435.

2. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Dougc, I fish the Mississippi river but perhaps it will work on the Missouri too. Water temp here is 45-ish. I went out yesterday and I couldn't get anything in deep water to bite. Ended up catching 3 fish (2- 11lbers & a 20 lber) but they were caught in 25-40 foot of water. Marked a number of fish in 60-80 but no bites. I see the 45 degree mark as a sort of transistional period, where the blues start to do some moving. I would definitely check out some intermediate water depths. That may be a relative term though. Where I fish 25-40 is intermediate.

3. redneckdrum

redneckdrum New Member

State:
    kansas
    I'd kill for an 11 pounder right now.I'm hungry!

4. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I struck out yesterday too. Spent 10 hours on the river. Its not very often I cant at least put 1 fish in the boat. I did happen up one hole behind a wing dyke, and what I saw on my graph was amazing. Several dozen echoes, (the largest ive ever seen) just sitting there between 15 and 30 feet. They were huge fish. I suspect they were blues but they werent biting. I guess its possible they were Asian Big Heads but I really think the echo was too large to be them. I know what they look like on my graph. I thought my graph was malfunctioning, so I put the trolling motor in which has a separate unit and transducer and found the same thing. These fish were anywhere between 3 and six feet long. The echo pattern would indicate that these fish werent of the scaley variety either which eliminates gars. Its a shame they werent biting. Anyone have any ideas? I guess it could be spoon bills, however I've never noticed them stacked up before like that.

5. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Hey Jetdriver, on March 15th head back with a snaggin rod and you'll find out for sure. Asian/Bighead have very small scales and slimy, average that I've boated would be 28 inches, but I've boated 3 that were over 3 feet long. If it's spoonies that are stacked up, hang on brother, your gonna eat good this spring and summer:thumbsup:

6. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Went out Saturday afternoon. Same story, saw big returns on the depth finder in the deep holes. Fished above, in and behind the holes. Caught one sturgeon about three feet long. Fished bridge pillar holes, outside bend holes and in front of some beached barges. Lots of biting fish, but nothing to show for it. Went down to the Marais de Cygne on Sunday and caught fish but got caught up in the bad weather and had to quit.

7. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    I'm not giving up though. I have a plan to drift some mid-range depth flats between wing dikes and found a deep outside bend with rugged bottom contours and some large debris hung up on the bottom. Going to try anchoring there and drifting through.

8. Hooked-on-cats

Hooked-on-cats New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We fished 5hrs sat. on the missouri and didn't boat any fish. We only had two hits. We fished 15-25 ft holes with fresh shad. We're going out 2 more times this week hope theres more action.

9. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    went fishing sat on the mississippi caught 26 blues in 4hrs didnt want to leave but a storm was comen the biggest was 35lb also had a 33 and a 25 every thing else avg 10 to 15 lb got a pic of the 33 hope to get it posted some time when i can figure it out

10. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    We went out all day Saturday. One small blue off the end of a dyke. We fished everything from 40' holes to 2' sandbars and couldn't buy another fish. Water temp was 50 deg. Weekend before I caught a bunch of channels at a feeder creek and a 10lb blue off the end of an L dyke in the rip rap in the channel. I think either they are starting to scatter out with the change in water temp or Saturday was just a bad day with all the weather changes we've had.

11. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    water temp was 42 degrees and caught all the fish out of one hole i think the front had somthing to do with it

12. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    went out friday hooked one nice one and lost it at the bank. went back the next day and the smaller ones were hitting .biggest one we got in was still only 9lbs. they were caught in fairly shollow water behind a wingdam wher the current slacks.make sur there is visible baitfish action present , as soon as they left the area so did the blues. they are hitting aggressivley too so watch your rods i almost lost mine friday , circle hooks get them every time.

good luck

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    This high water has scattered the baitfish and scattered the Blues. IMO best bet is to fish current rips into deep holes at first light and look for shallows and flats next to deep holes in the evenings. Lots of trash on the Miss so be carefull with the lower units. Bite was slow for me too. Spent most of my time snoopin though and not much fishing.

14. CATDADDY78

CATDADDY78 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey Guys Im A New Member Of Boc And Ive Been Fishing The Missouri River On A Boat For About 3 Years But Only Hooked Into A 32 Lb. Blue. Can Anyone Tell Me How To Catch More Big Blues. I Usually Fish The Tips Of Wing Dams, Cut Banks, And Notched Wing Dams. I Use Fresh Shad, Worms, Big Suckers, And Skipjack. I Have 3 Peen Reels With 85 Lb. Stren Super Braid Rigged Carolina Style But Am I Doing Something Wrong. Fishing Too Far Out? Too Close? Im Also Just Learning How To Read A Fish Finder. Any Tips On That Too? Thanks

15. cmblizz96

cmblizz96 Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Is it possible that those fish you were seeing were big flatheads in there wintering hole? If the water temp. was still in the 40's that seems possible and they prob. wouldn't be biting?