Missouri River bank fishing locations.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by mofisherman, Aug 27, 2009.

1. mofisherman

mofisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri (St. Louis Area)
    Anyone have any suggestions about decent areas to fish from the bank on the Missouri River near Chesterfield. Have fished downtown St. Charles riverfront and Columbia Bottoms, but was wondering if there are any good spots near Chesterfield. Looked up Howell Island, but it looked like it would be difficult to get to the river (instead of the Centaur chute).

2. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    there is a very well beaten path up and down both sides of the Howel island chute, to fish,,, but Im thinking that your more looking for acess to the main channel of the river instead of a slu?
    or you can cross the boon bridge and go down hwy 94 about 10 miles to the Weldon spring boat ramp and fish there

or pitch in gas and beer and get in my boat :wink:

3. mofisherman

mofisherman New Member

State:
    It doesn't matter to me whether or not I fished the main river or a chute. I am just hoping to catch big fish (either blues or flatheads). I am trying to find some areas where I could beat my personal bests of 11 lb channel (caught last week in St. Charles), 8 lb blue and 18 lb flathead. A couple of months ago I went to the boat ramp at Weldon Springs but the current look strong there. Are there any dikes around there to fish? I may have take you up on the offer to fish with you some time.

4. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    i live in chesterfield also. as far as bank fishing spots go they are hard to come by. i have fished howell island a number of times, and seen some flatheads in the close to 20 pound range come out of there. however the biggest fish i have ever brought out of there was only about 8 pounds (channel). this was all in centar chute.
    if you can handle the hike, you can get across howell island to the main channel where there are 4-6 wing dikes and a long sandy flat. this is a hell of a hike though, from the parking lot id say its and easy couple miles of hills, woods, and bugs. when you get 10 posts you should pm me, allways like meeting fellow whisker chasers around my area, maybe ill show you a couple of bank spots that are a little more "hidden" in the area.
    good luck, and be safe.

5. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    If you ever wanta fish the st. louis area give me a shout... Im sure we could find you a PB around here.. Most of the big fish ive caught came from the bank.. I for one know it can happen:big_smile:

6. free agent

free agent New Member

State:
    Indy/ Living in STL MO.
    Where you fish at Float trip Willie?

7. mofisherman

mofisherman New Member

State:
    Thanks for the responses. I'll post results once I get a chance to get out again (hopefully a couple times this week).

8. SpoonieKing

SpoonieKing New Member

State:
    STL Missouri
    In the chesterfield area i would just find any access to the main river, back my truck up to it and launch 8 and bait. Git r dun!

9. morivercatfisher

morivercatfisher New Member

State:
    missouri
    Hey where about in st.charles did you catch the 11lb channel at ? Not too shabby.

10. SpoonieKing

SpoonieKing New Member

State:
    STL Missouri
    why not just fish downwards/upwards of the boat ramp? thats direct access to the Mo river