Missouri River baits

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by fridaybocopw, Jul 17, 2009.

1. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    What baits yall been using on the missouri? I have been bank fishing and using worms and haven't done to bad but I'd like to use something the dang bullheads won't keep stealing off my hook. I've tried some perch live and cut but with no luck. Any tips?

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Asian carp, shad and mooneye are the most prevalent baits. Preferably fresh and bleeding.

3. MiseryMike

MiseryMike New Member

State:
    Blue Springs
    Any Type of fish thats in rivers or lakes will work , and chicken livers :wink: i personaly dont think catfish are picky eaters if they can taste it and thier hungry they will take it imo but others might disagree with me :smile2:

4. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Shad, common carp, drum, skippjack, mooneye, goldeneye, silver carp all work well as cut bait. Try green sunfish, gills, creek chubs, bullheads alive.
    Good luck

5. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Do I wanna make the live baits bleed a little or just hook em and toss em in?

6. fridaybocopw

fridaybocopw New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Can anybody explain the front thing to me? All the old timers tell me to watch the frontal changes and air pressure and that will tell me when they will be biting and when they won't. What do I look for?

7. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In the faster current I like to hook live baits thru the lips, slower current I hook behind the dorsal fin. Just hook and toss 'em and keep them lively. Stay safe and good fishing!!!

8. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Right before a storm comes in or a big low pressure system. The barometer falls some. You see that get out there the day before a big storm system moves in fish tend to go on the feed. Then during and slightly after the rain they bite good if the water is rising slow. Its the first day or 2 it seems after a cold front or storm moves in or away and high pressure moves in they kinda stop feeding. But any time you can go is a good time.:big_smile:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2009