Missouri River @ Atchison 2008

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by rush_60, Jul 26, 2008.

1. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Went to the mouth of Independence Creek today. They got a lot of rain up in northern Mo, and the river is up to about 12.5 feet right now. A lot of trash coming down the river, but not as much as yesterday. Took the kayak out on the creek and was looking for a good hole to fish. There was a nice one one on the east bank of the creek where it met the MO. The creek was about 6.5ft and the hole was 14.5. Too much trash floating around to try it though. Ended up finding a spot to bank fish but only got 2 bites one on liver and the other cut bluegill. I did take the kayak out on the Mo for a little bit and paddled upstream (its possible), but i didn't like dodging the sticks and logs so I went back. If we dont get anymore big rains the river should be cleaned up in a couple of days for another try.

2. GawnFishin

GawnFishin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Ill be launching from atchison on tuesday hopefully for an all nighter I hope the trash will be gawn by then.

3. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Have you had luck up that way before?

4. GawnFishin

GawnFishin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Dont know about rush but ive had alot of luck south of atchison two weeks ago i caught a pb i dont have a weight the scale stopped a 50 lbs and he maxed it out

5. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

That was my first time at that spot so I was doing more scouting than fishing but everything looked good. The trail to that spot was well traveled so somebody must be catching fish there. I'll have to make it back there when the river goes down a bit and give it another try.

6. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Casey you ever hit Sugar Lake across the brige there in Atchison?

7. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS

I went jet skiing in it a couple years ago. I fell off in the middle of the lake and stood up. The water was only waist deep! Never tried fishing there.

8. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Years ago a great flathead lake. My Great grandpa lived there and we have old pictures of him with tons of flats that he plulled out of the lake along with the river. He had a boat building business that he owned there on the lake. I have not fished it in about 10 years but back then we had good luck with the cats there. I was thinking about coming up that way and give the area a try and visit some of the family too. I also had real good luck on Warnock Lake.

9. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Sugar Lake had almost dried up, I don't know how any good fish could of servived the low water conditions. I grew up in DeKalb and fish that lake alot as a kid. Used to have good luck on the west side at night for flat heads next to Lanny Frakes farm, but that was over 20 years ago.

10. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

That is sad to hear about the lake. I have tons of stories from my grandfather about his dad going out catfishing. Those were the days.

I have always wanted to try the river around Atchison but I have never got up there to give it a try. I have been out on it a few times when my cousin had his airboat though. I think I will have to hold off till I get a bigger boat though. I'm not even going to think about messing with the MO. in my little boat.

11. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City

dsage where you mostly fishing now?

12. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I really like hitting different areas. I'm from Topeka so I fish the Lakes in that area alot along with the creeks and rivers too.

13. GawnFishin

GawnFishin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    do you know anything about perry lake or the spillway

14. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have not fished Pery much but Tom (n2fishn) will be able to help you out with the lake better.

15. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Michael, where you from? I saw a post about you catching a nice PB south of atchison.