Missouri river at NE city

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA RIVERS TALK' started by skawez, Feb 10, 2008.

1. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    Scoped out the river today.. im planning on taking a trip up there to fish off the bank this week. boat ramp is open NO DOCK . river is down and CLEAR. haven't decided what to use for bait yet.. any suggestions? haven't fished the river with such a cold temp. but found a good wind break just inside a jetty with a nice Big Pool that i should be able to pull something out of.. if not i can always make my way out the jetty to get out in the current and fish the drop offs. anyone have any suggestions?

2. bigredcatfish

bigredcatfish New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I would try to find some sort of bait fish. I don't know if you can try to catch some shad. It might be tough this time of year. Get some cut bait, best bet!!

3. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    i would agree:wink:

4. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    rivers full of ice again flowing well tho. 6-10' of ice from the bank out thickness? IDK not going to test it to find out. but wedsdays supposed to be nice and all next week is supposed to be in the mid 40s to lower 50s! so i didnt get to cast out today :embarassed: but for sure next week!!:big_smile:

5. cfishman

cfishman New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Sorry guys, just think your crazy to go catfishing in this weather/temp.

6. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    look at it like this.. i ve been bow hunting for deer sitting in a tree stand with wind chills below -30 buddled to keep warm yet enough i can still draw my bow. to get that certain buck ive trapped in worse conditions because the law says i have to check the traps every 24 hrs. ive sat on the ice at the lake for hours to just admire the scenery with nothing but a grub on my line. Its NOT the weather or the game your after that stops a angler/hunter from being there when he/she should its the angler/hunter their self that doesnt accept natures full spectrum that misses out on the experience of a lifetime.

7. cat stalker

cat stalker New Member

State:
    missouri
    The best blue cat fishing of the year is in the winter.
    Almost crazy not to go when you can.
    saftey first.

8. cashcat

cashcat New Member

State:
    nebraska
    I say " When its callen its callen , get some! "

9. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    i plan to this weekend.. but i have to make sure none of the kids have a fever any more. and mine hasnt started. then ill be there todays the nice day gotta try. if not i gotta wait till wed thur or fri again.

10. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    its a new weekend! friday there was ice comeing down the river :sad2: so i thought about going to the lake and doing some ice fishing :0a18:but it was so nice out at the river i couldnt leave so i kicked back and just let the ice flow enjoying the peace and quiet. and when i couldnt take it any more i sacrificed a bit of line just to say i fished but i was happy just to be there.

Sunday ill be out there again! itll be 50! and ill wet that line once again hopefully this time there will be fish on when it comes back in.

11. mostowage

mostowage New Member

State:
    nebraska
    went out on 3-3-08 and 3-4-08 went up river and fished feeder creeks with stink shad crawlers and prepared baits caught 5 channel cat :big_smile: and 1carp cats were1.5# to2.5# carp was 8# would only hit crawlers lots of bites front came through droped from 65 to 40 degrees in 2 hours went out yesterday but got up river about 10 miles and ran into ice :embarassed: about noon came back about got stuck on ramp :crazy: ice mud and snow try again monday or tuesday

12. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    im toying with the idea of going out there today.. not quite sure yet. but i will be up there mon or tues for sure.USGS says the rivers way down now..? night crawlers huh? hmmm guess ill just have to add them to the cooler with everything else.

13. mostowage

mostowage New Member

State:
    nebraska
    next chance i get going south to try hot water discharge at power plant just happy getting to catch fish right now but it will get better know anyone looking for boat ? got 2 getting rid of 1

14. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    went out today. got one hit. no fish. was goign to go down by the plant but too muddy to drive down in there :sad2: next time i might take the truck and go on back to see what i can catch.

River is way way down right now.

NO SNAGS TODAY!!!!:smile2:

i fish from the bank.. no boat:sad2: so if any one is out on the river and sees a white taurus or red Z71 and me fishin from the bank stop and say HI. ill be lookin for y'all

15. catfish_jordan

catfish_jordan New Member

State:
    Lincoln,NE
    well its suposed to be in the 60's tuesday and wensday so im hoping i can get out of the house and do something.

16. mostowage

mostowage New Member

State:
    nebraska
    the nice weather is coming and am ready to get out and catch some nice ones without having to freeze...........:roll_eyes:

it's supposed to be 60's next couple of days. am ready for it!!

17. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    River is on the rise again. up to 7' ! temp is rising fish are biting?

18. houghty26

houghty26 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    What is the water temp at Neb City? I am new here. I tried fishing the MO from the bank at Riverview Marina in January and 2 weeks ago off wing dikes but never got a bite. Used, shrimp, worms, and livers. I saw the water level was headed up, need to get the jon boat motor fixed!

19. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    i havent fished the river from a boat. dont have one and since i started fishing it last year i havent managed to hit the river at the same time as those i know that have a boat. the marina isnt the only place there in Ne city you can fish off the bank. you can get to the bank south of the power plant off minimum maintenance roads. and north of the city too in certain places. check out google earths satellite to find a good place.

as far as the temp i dont have a fish finder but a good place to find out the info on the river is.. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?site_no=06807000 .. this will tell you just about anything about the water you want to know.. right now they havent got the temp stick back in the water yet tho . they pull it in the winter. hope this helps

20. houghty26

houghty26 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Thanks for the info! I was pumped to go out tonight and tomorrow but doesn't look like the weather wants me too. Are those access points north of and south of Neb City I see on Google Earth ok with the farmers in that area? Don't want to piss anyone off. If you could tell me specifically which ones on a PM that would be wonderful so the whole world doesn't know:)