Missouri River around Washington, MO

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by mofisher, Jun 21, 2007.

1. mofisher

mofisher Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm brand new to the BOC and I was curious if anyone ever fishes around Washington Missouri? I bank fish sometimes but I do have access to a boat as well. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to start? I've gotten lucky with a few fish off the ends of wing dikes but when the waters above them I'm kinda unfamiliar with fishing them. Thanks

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC.I too am from Missouri.Please tell me where is Washington Missouri Located? Also you said you have had luck fishing off of wingdikes.I have no boat so I usually fish off of wing dikes on the Missouri River.Do you throw your bait straight out from the wing or upstream or downstream. I have been having great difficuty catching even fryers. Two years ago I was always able to come home with some fryers using Sonny's Dip bait but last year I couldn't buy a bite and so far this yeat it is the same. I need someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong or if I'm doing anything wrong! I am indeed very puzzled! Looking forward to your response!

Cordially,
    Sister Pat:big_smile:

3. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Jason.

4. mofisher

mofisher Member

State:
    Missouri
    Washington is between St. Charles and Herman on the Missouri. I usually cast directly out from the dike and let the current carry my line downstream into where is would drop dead baitfish slightly behind the dike. I've caught a couple in the 10-15 lb range but that was when the water was down. With the water up over the dikes I've had alot of drum and that's about it.

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I'm about 45 minutes away from Washington. I plan on trying the catfishing out around there whenever I finish getting my boat fixed up for the river fishing. There's a catfish tournament out of Washington, MO on July 14 this year to raise money for the Shriners Children Hospital. I'm still debating on whether I'm going to try it out or not since I haven't done much catfishing on the Missouri yet.

6. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Welcome aboard Jason. Great to see another Mo. member. You should really enjoy this place.

7. bodie

bodie New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I ran some lines down there about 3 years ago and I will never go back, at least to Washington. The fishing was not to bad but when we pulled up to the area where the last set of bank poles was at, a ski boat came flying out of this little cut. We did not think anything about it just went on. Pulled up to the first pole in the cut and somebody decided they needed to use the pole for target practice with a .22, and they was not a good shot. They had shot my bank pole nearly into 2 pieces. The pole was stapled to a log and you could see about 6 or 7 places around the pole where they had missed and it was about the size of a .22. I am not saying that the guy in the ski boat was the one that did it, but I would have liked to talk to him about it. At least I got my tackle back to use later on another pole, but it will just irritate a person.

8. mofisher

mofisher Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah there are bad apples just about everywhere... So far I've had good luck with people in the area being respectful in the area. Boats slow down when passing and tend to treat you right. The Jet Skis on the other hand... lol

9. wielms6

wielms6 New Member

State:
    warrenton missouri
    welcome jason to the boc

10. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    If you go up stream about 3 miles on the left hand side is a place called turkey island..normaly it is very shallow going in and there is a 25 foot hole when you get to the back that holds some good size fish. I have caught several in the 5 to 10 pound range back there. I have heard of others catching several large fish.