Missouri River around KC

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Mr.T, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Never been on the Missouri River but sure would like to give it a try with someone who has more experience. (I've tried to talk my dad into coming up, but he only remembers getting the tar scared out of him 60 years ago when he had a 14 ft wooden boat, and doesn't want any part of it...)

So if any of you in the Kansas City area have a spare seat, I'd love to tag along sometime - please drop me a PM! Weekends are my best free time, though I could be talked into calling in sick during the week if it looked like a good opportunity to catch some big blues!

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Yeah man, my night fishing is about over with. When it starts getting down into the 50's i'm a baby and will opt to fishing durring the day on the weekends. Not this weekend though. I have nascar tickets for both days. Be more then happy thought to take you out sometime.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Thanks for the offer - drop me a PM next time you're heading out and I'll see if I can clear my schedule!

-Marty

4. fireman10535

fireman10535 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, MO
    and if you ever just want to kick back on the bank and kill time getting lines wet :) drop me a line. I'm just a few minutes from the big muddy here in KC and would enjoy the company

Scott

5. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Hey MR T stolib and i are headed up to the river this morning let you know whats going on with the blues

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Fireman - thanks for the invite, may have to take you up on it sometime.

Fishingbuddy -- let us know how it went. It was a waste of time out on Truman today...

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Great day on the river, sun shining, about 70 degrees, just beautiful. Except the fish were just not cooperating :) We caught 1 blue and one channel. Still beat the heck out of most other things I could think of to do instead.

8. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Did the wind beat you up?Many dukkers out?Details,man,Details.

9. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    No duck hunters, and the wind wasn't too bad. Caught one small blue off he end of a dyke and one small channel in the slack behind a dyke. One thing, though, was pretty funny. Robert and I had looked at the mouth of this feeder creek and decided it was too shallow to take the boat in (like see the mud bar shallow). We moved across the MO to a dyke and started fishing. Couple of minutes later this guy comes hellin' down the river, swings out wide and barrels up this creek without even slowing down. And I mean he was movin'. Robert and I look at each other, kind of waiting for the crash, and a couple of seconds later we hear his motor just die. Being the sympathetic catfishermen we are, we start cracking up cause we know he's sitting high and dry in this creek somewhere after a sudden stop. We listen a minute and hear the motor fire back up and can just see the boat across the river, still in the mouth of this creek. The guy gets hung up there. Then we here the motor fire up again and we see this cloud from the back of his boat. Took a couple of minutes to realize it was mud and water from the prop, not smoke. We're still kind of laughing, doesn't look like anybody's hurt, so now it's just funny. 'Bout 5 minutes later the guy finally looks over at us and starts waving. We reel up and go over to help him off the mud, and he's on top of this mud bar. Not kind of got the bow grounded, but on top of it. Just as we get close to him, he kills his beer and asks us to throw him a line. We get him towed out and he takes off. He had his son (I guess) with him. Kid's about 18 or so and in a sleeveless t shirt. Me and Robert are in sweatshirts and jackets and it's still kind of chilly when we're movin'. This guy is running a 60 horse on a small aluminum jon boat, so he's been driving pretty fast, we know the kid's gotta be freezin', right? We didn't know how freezin' till we got back to the ramp and saw the kid wringing the water out of his shirt. Don't know for sure if the guy driving the boat was liquored up, but man, he had some stones to go flyinig up that creek like that. The reason I assume it was his kid is that he must be pretty hardcore, too, to be on the water in a wet, sleeveless T shirt in late October. Anyway, didn't mean to ramble on, but it was pretty hilarious.

10. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    yep thats the way it was,but there always anouther day for fishing ,and never

11. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    And never get to drunk on that river

12. cook

cook New Member

State:
    "that guys got some stones..."

Yep-in between his ears!!

There is a big mud flat near where I fish.I can tell when there is a b@ss turney cuz about 9 a.m. they make it to my area.Flying with those 225 horses going all they are worth.Most of them know the area,but a few cut the corner too close.They all have the same routine,tilt the motor up,put the partner on the bow,and HAMMER IT
    A 50 foot chocolate rooster tail is a site to behold :p :p

Wonder how many impellers I've seen meet their maker.Hmmm....,impeller point!! :)

13. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    HA when I'm stuck I just get the paddle out and hand it to the co-pilot.

14. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Bet she appreciates it!!

15. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    It's a good thing we didn't get stuck when I went along. I don't think I could move that much boat with just an oar. I would have had to get my legs wet.

16. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    The best thing you should do is look before you leap,that guy was full bore when he went up that creek ,and talked like he might have had a few drinks

17. AC1108

AC1108 Member

State:
    Kansas City, Mo
    It's always a good idea to keep a few beers in the truck so you can either celebrate your catches or drink away your sore luck instead of crashing the boat. That or just wait until you get home and are away from anything that has a steering wheel and could hurt you or someone else.

18. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Now see looking before you do something just takes out alll the fun we can have. But really though getting stuck happens even with a depth finder. I just hate when the water jumps from 4 foot to 1 foot and the transducer is on the back so by then it's to late....

19. paddle

paddle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have seen several guys get in the shallows at the spot cook told about. It is always interesting to see them trying to come back out on thier trolling motor, sometimes they have to even help it out by walking back and forth in the boat to keep it rocking.--paddle :0a17:

20. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Paddle-your still alive!!Where ya been?