missouri on the rise

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dieselcat, Jul 26, 2008.

1. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    Was thinking of going out tonite but the river is supposed to come up 2 feet between today and tomarrow,anyone had luck fishing the river with rod&reel when it was raising this fast?

2. huntsfromtree

huntsfromtree New Member

State:
    KC Northland
    Shane the fishing can be pretty good when the river is on the rise if you can avoid debris and line trash. I was out thursday night at glasgow and the river rose from 16.5 to almost 19 feet by morning and we managed to catch some decent fish.

3. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I went out friday night and threw the kitchen sink at them in logjams, dyke ends, eddies, incoming creeks, and sand bar drops....nothing. The water had turned to fudge since wednesday. Usually the water coming off the back of the boat on plane is somewhat white but friday it was beyond muddy. I can't remember ever being skunked.

4. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    We went out lastnite and caught 1 little channel cat,my buddy dan bout had his pole drug in the river by a fish. should have seen him dive for it.....lmao anyway had what seemed to be a good 1 hooked for bout 5 seconds then baaam, snapped the line but he was only using 17lb test with a med action rod.figures we would get the best bite on the smallest pole.We fished from 10;30pm til 5am and only fished 2 spots,couldnt hardly find a place to anchor with out tons of trash screwing us up so we did a lot of soaking.:tounge_out:

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Was out last night. Had one good hit about 2 am didnt get a hook up. So much trash coming down the river had a hard time finding a place to anchor. River was like pea soup. We were out from about 6 pm yesterday to about 7 am this morning. Hopefully it will settle down in the next week. If anyone is going just be carefull with all the trash coming down it.

Tom

6. GawnFishin

GawnFishin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I plan on going out tuesday for an all nighter any advice would be app.

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Take rain gear for starters, looks to be pretty wet. The MO is on a big drop, which can be tough fishing, but at least the debris should be clearing up. I'd probably anchor in the flats in 6-12 feet of water and throw cut carp or cut bluegill.

8. GawnFishin

GawnFishin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Was going to try cut carp and live bait. Rain gear is always a must especially with the weather we are having. Any sudgestion on how to stop boat sway i say something a while ago but i cant find it

9. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    try using drift buckts or small drift socks on each side of the boat in the back . the 5 gallon buckets are easy to make take off the lids and use a hole saw that goes on a electric drill around 2 inch holes size on the bottom end of the bucket drill like 6 to 8 holse this lets some water flow threw while still applying enough pressure to keep the boat from swaying, use about 6 feet of rope throw them out and tie them off well better to tie them off then throw them out so you dont accidently lose them in that strong current.

there are pictures of this in the boc library,

i bet small drift sock would work also.

10. GawnFishin

GawnFishin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Found the pics and after pricing drift socks on my way to wally world for bucket and rope thanks again

11. jolle

jolle New Member

State:
    O'Fallon, MO
    We went out Saturday evening from 4-8PM below Hermann. It was fast with a lot of debris, and we fished at a creek mouth. Caught a few flatheads on bluegill fillets (10#, 3#) and some small blues. I had one nice slam on a cut bluegill, but the hookset came up empty.

Watch out for the rogue buoys . . . we had one surface 20 feet to our right as we were passing it, and it made a big ruckus for a few seconds then disappeared again, totally unseen. Glad we didn't pass over it as it surfaced!!! :eek:oooh:

12. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    glad i could help. good luck and be carefull out there guys and catch a hawg or 2 and share some pics .

13. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    I have 2 of these drift buckets that scotty is talking bout and they do work pretty well but i only put 4 holes in them dont know if 5 or 6 would be better or not,i have found out when the river is up they dont work as well i dont know if it's the way i position them or what?i have 2 ropes tied on the back of my boat, 1 on each side that are about 6-8 foot long and the one's on the buckets are about 2 foot long.if anyone knows of a better way please let me know:0a26:

14. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    i sent u where to find them diesel and tried to copy and paste the picuters let me know if you got it. the easy way to find them is under member library then go to table of contents to 2 nd page then its under docs drift buckets.