Missouri Noodling makes National News (video)

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by cubedweller, Jul 30, 2007.

1. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    In the video clip, a family of noodlers takes "a few minutes" to harvest a 38lb flathead catfish.

Here's the Video Segment

"Howard Ramsey has done it in Missouri for years".
    That's weird, I thought it had been illegal until recently, and even then the "experiment" was cut short as its effects were obviously detrimental to the fish population.

2. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    They need to have the law pay him a visit. I don't think I would be on the tv if what I was doing was illegal

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Good Grief no way I would stick my hand in a mouth like that!!!

4. unclebill85

unclebill85 New Member

State:
    Lee's Summit, Missouri
  5. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Quote:
    "I can noodle in six states that touch Missouri, but I can't noodle in Missouri," says Ramsey, who retired two years ago from the Missouri Department of Natural Resources.

Unbelievable. Bill, thanks for the post.

6. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Apearantly this guy has tryed to have the law changed in his favor many times and still is today. After reading his story he has been knowingly breaking the law all his life poaching catfish and plans to continue too.
    I'm sure the conservation agent in his county would be intrested in reading the article.

7. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I made comment on the video on their site. I don't think it will be well taken by some, Who Cares???, I don't!!!!

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Sorry, I just can not and will not condone knowingly violating the law. Lets let some of the check writers out a jail a little early and reserve a place for those folks.

9. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    If it's against the law then it's against the law.

10. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Lawrence, there's nothing to be sorry about. Believe me, I'm with y'all.
    Then Bill was good enough to chase down the link to the article and it was about this exact same fellow -- now that got my hide got REAL chaffed. He's flaunting the fact that he's breaking the law. In my opinion, the MDC gave he and his ilk a fair shake -- and then realized their judgment had lapsed.

This does make me wonder about a call to Operation Game Thief...but I wonder if they'd have to catch him in the act or if a video and written confession is enough?

Either way, Troy was right -- he's a poacher. I guess I'm shocked we had poachers working in the DNR?!?! And to think, Missouri tax $$$ are more than likely funding his pension...

11. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Not sure what his role was with the DNR. May have been a grounds keeper for all I know but like you say we are funding his pension. I'm sure, or would hope they didnt know he was a poacher all the time he was working for them.

(This does make me wonder about a call to Operation Game Thief...but I wonder if they'd have to catch him in the act or if a video and written confession is enough?)

I would say there is pretty good proof right there. He also admitted to being arrested for it once. Maybe they will do more than a 500.00 fine this time. Taking his state funded retirement and all fishing privileges for being a repeat violater might be a start.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Gosh Troy, in this country the punishment is supposed to fit the crime. Taking a man's retirement for noodling catfish is just a little too strong. Maybe denying him the right to ever purchase another fishing/hunting license would be more appropriate. In the noodling respect, I agree with him. On a legal perspective, he don't have a leg to stand on, and I hope at some point he does get slapped down.

13. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    If laws that are in effect don't stop him from doing it, what makes you think that taking his licenses away is going to stop him. People like him are part of the problem here. His actions are speaking for him in this instance.

14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Exactly. I don't guess he has ever worried about having a license the last 50 years he's been doing this. The only way your going to stop repeat offenders from continuing is doing something drastic enough to make them stop.

15. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Now Im not condoning what the feller was doing but back in 57 when i was 7 years old my grandfather decided to teach me to "hog" a fish. He put a life jacket on me (I found out or figured out it was to keep me from drowning in case a whooper chomped down on my hand) he then tied a rope to me and told me to jump out. Well the first mouth i stuck my hand in was enough!!!! But this practice was used to keep the smoker going and to make some extra money. People now have boats that cost more than some peoples houses, they have motors that cost more than some peoples cars, they have rods and reals costing more than some peoples boat, motor and rod. A way of life is now a obsession. No i dont condone what they are doing but im not going to judge for something i have done and seen my grandfather do many a time. Times have changed but in my opinion not for the better in all ways.

16. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Tied a rope to you??? While you thrashed around? HAHAH...sounds like you were being used as BAIT! Just kidding!:smile2:

17. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well maybe he did use me for bait!!! I never thought of that!!! I might of weighed 40 pounds soaking wet at age 7. I was probably first human bobber!!! Anyway when my Granny found out , a cast iron skillet came out with a few threats!!!

18. cat stalker

cat stalker New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've seen pictures of guys with missing fingers from noodleing. those big ole snappers just bit them right off. The crazy part is they still go noodleing. Its hard to stop someone that dedicated from breaking the law.

19. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    I have too, thats what surprises me most about this! That alone is reason enough for me to never try it, there doesn't need to even be a law. It's called common sense, you don't see the government passing laws saying you can't stick your hand in an alligators mouth and pull it up from the bottom do you....No, because it registers in normal peoples brains that its dangerous
    and not real smart. I know that its a common practice in some places, but it still makes me wonder just how intelligent some people are.

20. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I dont think its about intelligence its about a tradition in some areas. Their Grandads did it , their dad did it, and so on and so forth. There are a lot of traditions that dont make sense but that doesnt give me the right to condem it. I was in church one sunday and saw people proving their faeth by handling rattlers. Did I do it Hell no!! But the old timers did !!! Go figure !!!