Missouri Mountain Lions

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Crispy Critter, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    With them being taken off our endangered list I was wondering if many people have been seeing them.

Last fall My Son,His Girlfriend,and I were heading back to my house one evening about dark and seen one and three young ones in the road about 3/4 of a mile from the house.Then during the winter I found some tracks in the dirt road a couple hundred yards from the house.A couple weeks ago I was sitting in the house late one night and heard my dog(half chow- half rot)make a cowardly yelp and run under the back steps.I thought a skunk had sprayed him.I walked out the back door expecting to smell a skunk and instead I came face to face with a mtn lion in the back yard.My blood went cold and the hair stood up on the back of my neck as we looked at each other for 3-4 seconds (which is like 3 hours in facing a mtn.lion time).About 3 big leaps and it was back in the timber and gone.I'm guessing(more like hoping)that both sightings is the same cat.

I lived down in Wright County about 40 years and used to see the big black cats (panthers)down there but only seen one tawney colored one in all that time.I'm hoping this was the only tawney one I see up close up here in Morgan County for the next 40 years.lol!!

Has anyone else seen any lately?

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Thanks for the heads up Dee...heck I was gone for almost 30 years and have now lived down here going on 4 years...I didn't even know we had them. There has been some unexplained missing pets around here...maybe this is worth looking into since your not far from me. Time to do some scouting!:sad:

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    haven't Seen Any Personally,but Have Heard They Were Coming Back To Sourthern Mo. You All Keep Them Down There Please. We Have Black Bears Up Here We Don't Need The Mnt.lions To. Thanks But No Thanks.

4. smallriverrat

smallriverrat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    About 2 years ago, I was coming home at night from visiting some family in Richmand, MO. Around Missouri City something jumpout infront of me so I slowed down because I seen the tan and thought it was a deer. (Deer jumping infront of cars is very common around there). As it walked infront of the truck I realize it was a cougar/mountain lion.

Also I have heard of cougar/mountain lion reports from NW Mo. Around St. Joe area for about 15 years now. Usually one a year but here in the last two or three years they have been getting thicker. Mo Conservation Dept says they are following the rivers to here from Colorado. In Colorado they have a overpopulation of them.

Dave

5. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    If I see one "run" does not come into play.I usually freeze in my tracks whether I want to or not.lol!I don't have any desire to shoot one I doubt they would taste very good with cornbread.:rolleyes:I would like to get a picture of one with my camera.I've been carrying it around with me since I saw the one last fall,but the law of nature tells me I won't see one if I have my camera.

Here is something I seen a couple days ago though.It is a bald eagle not very far from the house.It's not a very good picture since it was so far away from the road and I wasn't going to disturb it by getting closer.I got some real nice shots of it with the camcorder though because I have a 700X zoom on it.With the camcorder You could see him blink his eyes.I also could see the nest clearly with the fledglings and momma in it.In the center of this picture you can sort of make out the black and white image of what it is.I am glad they are making a return to here,they are nice to look at.A very majestic bird.

Attached Files:

6. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Know what you mean Crispy. When I was in LA, I wondered into a Harley shop out in the foothills. As I stepped through the door I was face to face with a mamma Mtn Lion. Froze solid, mind was saying get out of the door, feet was saying I DON"T THINK SO, then way out far far away I heard this voice say, It's OK. It was a pet and had kittens also. Mamma and the kids just wanted to be petted. Sure wouldn't have wanted to see her mad though. Don't ever really want to see another one up that close again. All the local bro's were just rolling around in the dirt laughing.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Nope never seen one heard one. I know they have been ran over here on I-29/35 in kansas city. I will say this that i'm pretty confident in what most people say as mountain lions are dogs,bobcats or deer. Everyone knows there around though same as black bears up north. Although I don't think they have killed or reported any wild females. Just young males kicked out of there home looking for a new place.

8. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I didn't know we had bears til a deer hunting episode about 20 years back. I was deer hunting about 20 minutes south of Warsaw. Came across a track I didn't recognize. I literally traced it onto paper and measured it. Went to see Conservation next day and asked about it. That was when I was told we had "honey" bears. Of course, my next question was "What's a honey bear?" The agent promptly explained that was just a common local term for the little black bears that lived in Missouri. Changed my perspective on hunting in the woods.

9. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    Although I haven't seen any in about 15 years,We used to see the little cinnamon colored "honey"bears down in wright county every so often.There was a family of them lived somewhere across the road from my grandmothers house years ago.I used to see them in the blackberry thicket once in a while about 100 yards in front of her house.Due to so much timber being logged off in recent years they have been pushed back into the Mark Twain Forest.

10. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    lol!! I wouldn't want to get that close to one,I'm afraid I might have an involuntary"accident".I have been within spitting distance of a few black bears in Tenn. and North Carolina.I ran over a small black bear one time in Pa. with my big truck,it tore off a fuel line from one of my tanks.I don't ever want to get very close to a brown bear,I've seen a couple from a distance in the northwest.

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Hmm, better check Wolfies bait freezer.

12. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    Are you sure you wasn't asleep when he walked up?lol!!I would have a hard time sitting there as the events unfolded.I'm not sure what I would do(on purpose anyway,involuntary accident keeps coming to mind)I'm sure I would have to go home and change my shorts afterward.;)

13. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    What says he didn't?:p ...LMAO

14. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    I've never really been afraid of them either.I won't try to make one mad at me but I've never had reason to be afraid.I've spent alot of time walking through dark woods(seems like I always outlasted the wheatlight coon hunting)There have been a few times out at night when I could hear a big cat or sometimes other things walking off to my side,I stop they stop.You know how they do.I've never had them bother me and I've never gave them reason to.

15. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    They're really bad down at Dad's.He is always at war with them for digging up his yard.I never see any in the yard here but my dog runs loose and I can hear him go off on something every hour or two in the edge of the timber.I hate them things,they can't see or hear you till your right on them then they jump up right in front of you.I've almost stepped on a few.

16. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    yep fellows they are all over our aria , eastern ,ne okla. ark have seen them all my life in okla.ARK. BOATH BLKAND TAN(TWANEY) for the most part they dont like us any mor than we like them. the more people move to the country the more of them u will see. more like an influx of people , than a upsurge of large cats , so much building buldozing large tracks for housing . thier hunting arias are infringed on , :crying: left alone they go thier own way most often. but seem to like the taste of dowg. lol have a day:cool:

17. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    We have a place on the 5MM of LOZ and one night my oldest son came in from being down on the dock and swore that he saw a big cat like animal out by the side of the house. We poo-pooed him but he swore that he knows what a dog looks like and this was a cat of some kind, big. Described it and it sure sounded like a mountain lion to me. He was kind of jumpy for a bit so he was really serious about it. They are up here in Iowa also, a couple have been shot in the city limits where I live. Would love to see one, don't want to hurt it but then again I really don't want it to hurt me, but it would be neat to see one. Come on wolfie, a bear sticks it's nose in your ear and is sniffing your ear and you didn't ask it out? Sounds like serious dating material to me from that one post I read about pics you sent to Crispy Critter.lol:beauty:

18. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    I think Bill was talking about your barnyard pics.(thread on Itchy's computer)lol! j/k

I kinda figure the kitty will get deeper in the timber now that warm weather is bringing people back to the area.I do all my night fishing out in the lake by boat.It would have to be pretty hungry to swim LOZ to get to me.From the boat to the truck I have a .357 mag. that might scare it off.If not you know the saying..I don't have to out run the cat,just the person I'm with.lol!

19. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    thats a handy peice of information to have . if im able to make it over your way im bringing my P.F. FLYERS with me. lol

20. Crispy Critter

State:
    Missouri
    You won't need them runnin shoes TRUST ME;) Just wear a pair of big heavy boots.lol!