Missouri/Mississippi River Novice

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by DWB, Feb 5, 2007.

1. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey folks!

Thought I would start a thread to introduce myself to the bunch.

My name is Dan and I am fairly new to the area. I moved my family to the O'Fallon/St. Charles area almost two years ago. Although an avid fisherman with my own boat I was hesitant to launch on either if the two rivers the first summer so I mainly fished Mark Twain my first summer out here.

My second summer here (2006) a coworker offered to go out with me in my boat and "show me the ropes of the river". I fished all that summer in the pool below the Alton dam. I was hooked! I now fish almost exclusively for river cats, sometimes launching into the Alton pool and even launching from Waldon Springs from time to time. My biggest fish so far is a 37lb Blue!

I signed up to this board with the hopes of learning more about this sport I am coming to love and perhaps find some folks from my area to fish with.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Nice to have you here, Dan - you'll get lots of help from the local folks. I've only been fishing on the Missouri for the last year or so, and have learned tons from these guys.

Happy fishing!

3. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    This site is great! Perhaps you can show me a bit about Mark Twain Lake as I live about 35 minutes from there. The Alton pool is tough to beat for big blues. Good luck this summer and go to the sports show this week at the dome. Hannibal Mike

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC FAmily. Good to have another new member abaord. Be sure to go to the Missouri Forum and sign your name to the Missouri Members. Check out the Missouri Gathering in May also. Just might interest you. Gponna be lots of fun and a grat way to meet a lot of the Missouri members as well as fromof the neighboring states.
    AGAIN:0a25: :0a18: :0a22:

5. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Welcome Dan, we have some awesome fishing waters around here and I see you've been below the Alton, some of the best trophy waters in the country there. The BOC offers us all a platform to share our experiences and learn from one another, so enjoy and welcome neighbor to the learning center of the BOC.

6. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Dan.Hope to see ya on the water.

7. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dan,
    Welcome to the BOC I am also New to BOC but not to Missouri. I Was Just kidding about the Rookie title You doin't look like a rookie with that great blue cat great fish thanks for sharing . Looks like to much ice in the river right now. See You when its out of here mabey You could send it on down to Cape or Cairo .
    Good Luck Olddriller ( REtired Going fishing doin't block the ramp)
    Paul

8. Captain Ahab

Captain Ahab New Member

State:
    Owensville, MO.
    Welcome to BOC Dan! This is a great place to learn the ropes when it comes to fishing for the big ones! The knowledge and experiences shared here by BOC members is awesome! What a great group of fishermen!

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Welcome aboard, Dan. We have quite a few folks here that live in our area of the state. I used to fish both below and above Alton Dam, but in the last couple of years have been concentrating on the Mississippi River around the Festus area. It's a lot closer to where I live in Arnold. I have access off the Merimac River, but the fishing isn't as good as it is further downstream. When the weather warms up, maybe we'll hook up and you can try the cats down this way.

10. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Welcome Dan. I see you are practically a neighbor. If you fish Weldon Springs you are bound to see me. Dont hesitate to introduce yourself. I am there a lot. I would be there now if it would warm up to at least the upper 30s and the ice wasnt comin down. the entire river is good fishing but it seems to me from Weldon Springs down to the confluence is the best blue fishing. I have caught a lot of fish above that too but I like that stretch best.

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Glad to have you Dan. Gr8 place to make friends, and learn to be a better catfisherman. If you have questions, all you gotta do is ask. Cuz

12. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Hey Dan welcome aboard! I can't help you with the fishing on the east side of the state, since I live in kansas City. By the look of the fish you are holding I'm not sure you need any help. Keep catching and posting them. It encourages us all. Again, welcome to the best catfishing sit on the net!

13. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Dan from another Mo. member.

14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Welcome to the BOC Dan. And also welcome Curtis (Captain Ahab) Were glad you guys signed up.
    Best of luck to you this year on the River. Come on over to our Missouri Gathering in May and meet some of the other members if you can. Hope to see you out there....

15. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Yes, on the way home from work today I was thinking man this is fishing weather! Then I crossed the Missouri on 40 and saw all of that pancake ice...what a bummer!

Absolutely I can show you around Mark Twain. What little knowledge I have of the area is free for the taking. I'm almost always up for a day of fishing.

Question for you all...if I fish above the Alton damn do I need an Illinois licence? How about the Illinois river? Is the fishing good up there? I went for a drive with the wife up there--towards Grafton--and the water looked amazing. I must have saw a million turtles sunning themselves on the logs along River Road.

16. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    That is indeed a pretty drive you mentioned Dan. My family will often wile a Sunday away driving to Grafton and Pierre Marquett Park. As for the licenses, its my understanding that you must have a fishing license for the state you reside in. In your case you would need a Missouri Fishing license to fish the Mississippi River as the two states have a mutual agreement. Now, I have heard that if you trailer your boat, and make use of an Illinois access point, you must also have an illinois license but I havnt been able to locate that regulation as of yet. However, you are bound by the appropriate States Regulations and Creel Limits depending on whose body of water you are fishing.

Here is a link to the Missouri Dept. Of Conservations Fishing Regulations. If you go to page 21, it has the particular rules of each surrounding state.

http://www.mdc.mo.gov/documents/regs/fishsum.pdf

Hope this helps. Cuz

17. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    If you go up the Illinois River you will need an Illinois license.

18. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thank You For Joining Us here on the B.O.C.,Dan You Will Fit Right In.So if there is any thing We can help You With Just Ask,and if We don't Know the answer,we will try to find out OK. And A Big Ol Welcome Also. J.D.
    :big_smile_2:

19. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    You sure about that Micus? The reciprocal agreement between Illinois/Missouri indicates that the licensee may fish the free flowing waters of either state, with some exceptions. The Illinois River is not listed as an exception. Do you know where it says that the Illinois River is not included?

20. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Welcome dan ,you can learn alot on this site.Check out the members gathering site for the gathering in may.