Missouri hook law

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Vince Copple, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Take a look at this. Depending upon how you hook your bait, you can use more than the 50 or 33 hooks?

Hook: Single- or multiple-pronged hooks and ordinary artificial lures with attached single- or multiple-prolonged hooks and dropper flies. A multiple-pronged hook, or 2 or more hooks used to hold a single bait are considered a single hook.
    Page 43.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Not on a pole and line...

3. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ok.. So technically.. 3 baits per pole with 3 hooks in each would be possible. One to hold and 2 stingers or more. Is that the way you see it?

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I think that sounds like a pretty reasonable interpretation of the rule.

5. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks Marty… There is a reason why I asked you guys this. Maybe it will help you, maybe it wont. During the tough times of the year when the bite is slow like it has been, you might want to consider putting on a stinger hook or two. Anybody use this technique?

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    About the only time I've used a stinger is when fishing with live shad - the stinger put a quick stop to the short-strikes and missed fish.

What I haven't ever tried is putting multiple bait sets on a single line - seems like there might be a time when it'd be worth trying, maybe by putting 2 or 3 droppers spaced a couple of feet apart, with a sinker on the bottom. If there are any suspended fish nearby, that might get them.. Bet it'd be exciting to get a double or triple - and probably a lot more exciting than getting 2 crappie at the same time on a double jig... :eek:oooh:

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Vince, our tournament last Saturday i used stinger hooks on all 5 rods. It worked well but i still missed three take downs that i'm not sure how the fish didn't hook themselves. One of them probably would have been the difference from 3rd place to 1st place. Used 8/0 gama's for all 10 hooks. I think i may have needed a 10/0 on the bottom hook and that might have caught the other 3.

8. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That might just work better. Always thought to downsize for some reason. I normally run a 7/0 Kahle then use 5/0 Seaguards for the stinger. Sometimes a treble right below the gut sack.

9. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR
    Vince, i haven't tried the trebble for a stinger but that should work even better. Thanks for the idea i may give that a try the next time out with bigger baits. I think it's legal in Oklahoma but i'll check the regs to see. I usually use 7/0 to 10/0 kahles but i have been trying the circle hooks and so far i really like the 8/0 gama's. Just wish i'd run 10/0 kahles for the stingers. May do some experimenting with that and using trebbles.

10. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    In Henderson with Cuz, we did not have a big enough bait that I wanted to use. We only had skipjacks about 6 maybe 8 inches long. I cut the tails off two and put the main hook through the eyes. Connected them by running a treble in the tails so it might look like a much bigger bait using the stinger concept. Granted, we got the skunk stripe, but doing this was the intention so it would bleed out of two instead of one creating a better scent trail also. You have to do the best you can with what you have… If not connected, they are more likely to spin creating a rats nest with your leader.

11. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    I've used trebles a couple of times in my stingers but I guess I'm just spoiled on circle hooks - I hate how difficult it is to get a treble out, especially when it's got the top and bottom jaws wired shut! Also don't like the chances of hooking them in the gut or gills when they really inhale the bait..

12. Arkansascatman777

State:
    AR

Thats about the same size bait i was using and hooked the stinger through the eyes and the upper hook through the back of the skip wherever it came to then cut off anything above the upper hook. Worked well but missed 3 fish and one of them bowed the pole down pretty good. Also i didn't run whole baits on all 5 at the same time some of them i just baited with seperate bait,heads, fillets and whole small baits this also produced and didn't miss any fish on that setup. I think if i would have had a bigger hook or a trebble for a stinger it probably wouldn't have missed any fish.

Yeah i know what you mean we keep a curved set of needle nose pliers in the box for fishing with DK's. they will sometimes clamp down and the pliers make it easier to remove without hurting the fish most of the time. Now i know why you don't like DK's:wink::smile2:.

13. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Use a bigger treble hook marty.. 2/0 or 4/0

14. sbowes77

sbowes77 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i haven't tried it with tight lineing but have been useing it on my bank poles for several year it allows me to use bigger bait and still hook the ones that only want a nibble or to hook the gar once in a while in the grand river i use a 8/0 salmon hook in the mouth out the eye and a 7/o treable hook under the dorsal the only problem is a 25lb or above flat head well have the treable at least to his gills