Missouri hogs?

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by stillkickn, Dec 4, 2009.

1. stillkickn

stillkickn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm new to Missouri and live 30 minutes North of Jefferson City. I've never hunted hogs but have been wanting to for several years now so I have two questions. How do I get started and is there any public land where I could do any good?

Thanks,
    Kickn

2. BubbaCat

BubbaCat New Member

State:
    Arizona
    have you spoke to your local wildlife department ? to start hog hunting all you need is a knife,:wink: more modern methods make it easier though.:big_smile:

3. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Rob,there are hogs in our nat. forests down here by Springfield, around tablerock lake, they are getting real bad, the MDC killed over 300 this year and haven't scratched the surface.
    They are very hard to hunt, and the land around where they live are hills and hollers and hundreds of miles of it, so its like ya got to know someone unless the MDC can set ya on some

4. stillkickn

stillkickn New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thank you both for the info. I will start with the slug gun b4 I event think about going after a hog with a knife! I'm not that brave. I will look into the Nat. forest.

Thanks!

5. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Just read an article in the Traveler this morning. Said the biggest pop is in the SE of the state. They are even been found in N Mo. also.

6. diodeman

diodeman New Member

State:
    Benton Co. Mo.
    Missouri has; Feral,Eurasian and Russian hogs. Consult the Mo. Dept. Conservation website for information, in search bar type in 'feral hogs'. If you have never hunted wild hogs also consult; Texasboars.com, highlight the hyperlinks 'hunting' and type of 'guns'. Be prepared.

This area can be tough to hunt due to terrain, but there are plenty of hogs out there in certain areas. Be prepared or you can get hurt, they are aggresive-wary-smart-excellent hearing & sense of smell, good eyesight and can distinguish colors (hunter orange). They respond to baiting and scents. When properly butchered they are excellent food source. Read regulations in 'Missouri Wildlife Code' as there are certain restrictions.

I hunt them using a .300 caliber magnum rifle, mounted with 3x10-50 Burris sniper scope, loaded with 180gr. soft point rounds, I carry a .44 magnum revolver for back-up in case of close encounters. Sometimes I hunt using a scoped, 12 gauge shotgun loaded with 3" magnum rounds containing 1oz. rifled slugs.
    Diodeman

7. TJD

TJD New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The last I heard there are feral pigs in the Mark Twain forest east, south east of St Robert, MO.
    It isn't Mo but the National Park area around the Buffulo River of nothern Arkansas has them as well.