Missouri - east side report 2017

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by tall_jason79, Jan 9, 2017.

1. wadekaminski

wadekaminski Well-Known Member

State:
    MO - Missouri
    Name:
    Wade
    Some ramps are steep, some aren't. As long as it's somewhat clean (I have a 2wd truck) I'll launch from it. It really isn't a big deal. I get my boat ready before I pull onto the ramp, part of that is a rope tied to the boat and the other end on the trailer. I back the boat in until it floats, I pull forward until the boat is firmly on the ramp, untie the rope from the trailer, park the truck, hop in the boat and go fishing. This whole process is less than 5 minutes and that includes walking back to the boat from where I parked the truck.

You do this a few times and it's second nature. Things are only as hard as you make them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Catfish1 mobile app

2. twaskom

twaskom Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I try to fish twice a week but that doesn't always work. I am almost always by myself and am very efficient when it comes to launching and loading but it was a learning process. I get everything ready before I get to the ramp so as not to take too much time. One person can not back the boat in and then just go park the truck. Any time you have to beach or dock the boat to take care or parking or getting the truck, time is involved so I can't be quite as efficient but those that see me, know that I am not wasting any time. Again, that takes a little bit of learning.

Fishfeen, SHOWME and Andy52 like this.

3. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Wade and Tom, I as well as you can probably launch faster alone then some I've seen that take a dozen attempts to back a boat up because they don't know how. I just shake my head and say they really should practice that somewhere else......LOL.

Fishfeen, jdstraka and SHOWME like this.
  4. Kornbread69

Kornbread69 Member

State:
    Dexter, Missouri
    Name:
    Kenny
    There's few things as irritating as waiting at the boat ramp, after a long long hot day on the water, for some dipstick to load his boat. Had an instance where an old'er guy pulled his boat directly onto the ramp, let it float sideways blocking both sides of the ramp, then proceeded to unload his boat right there, one piece at a time, each piece another trip to his truck. The ramp was running smoothly till that. He 'parted the waters' so to say as there were at least a dozen others he cut in on. Just happened I was the next in line. Never been threatened with a boat paddle before.

Anyhow, how was the fishing today? Wanted to go but $ didn't allow it. Hopefully by next weekend I'll have a new ProCat rod and Rover reel to try out.

Fishfeen, jdstraka and SHOWME like this.
  5. vortex

vortex Twirlygig

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Luke

Must be that whole turn right to go left thing that gets em.

6. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Haha, you are both right there. They should practice backing a trailer to get more proficient. If they would just put their hand on the bottom of the wheel, the trailer would move in the direction their hand goes. But I do know it takes practice to get proficient.

I get irritated more when they get on the ramp and then start doing things that should have and could have been done somewhere else. Instead, others are there waiting on them. I try to have everything possible done in the parking lot before I think about going to the ramp. It just takes a little thought and respect for others to do that.

I have launched like Wade mentioned before and used a rope tied to the trailer to pull the boat back up to the ramp but I will have to say I like to have a dock there to tie up to. Some have them and some don't.

Tight lines all.

7. wadekaminski

State:
    MO - Missouri
    Name:
    Wade
    Tie up to a dock? Haha... not too many of those here around St Louis.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Catfish1 mobile app

8. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Yah, I know. The rivers joining the Mississippi from the East are totally different than the Rivers joining from the west.

Fishfeen and Andy52 like this.
  9. south point

south point Well-Known Member

State:
    missouri
    2 nice docks at Washington. Makes it easy for me when I'm solo

Fishfeen, Zach Davis, Andy52 and 2 others like this.
  10. cavillac

cavillac Active Member

State:
    Loveland,Iowa
    I fish solo 95% of the time. Its a breeze to unload, If no one else is out I just pull a 20' loop of anchor rope from my anchor winch and throw it over my bed cover and put the end of the loop in the velcro of the cover. As soon as I get the boat in the water and it starts taking some of the rope off the cover I get out and grab the end, tie off and go park the truck. Loading can get pretty hairy when there is a steady stream of houseboats and speedboaters making waves though lol

Fishfeen, jdstraka, SHOWME and 2 others like this.
  11. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Been there with the wakes. Makes getting on the trailer straight a pain some times.

Fishfeen, jdstraka and Andy52 like this.
  12. tac eulb

tac eulb Member

State:
    missouri
    I don't know how everyone else has been doing below Mel price but it's not like it was for me several years ago. Only thing I know of that has changed is they shut the power plant down. Used to be tons of baby skipjack in the warm water discharge.

Fishfeen and Andy52 like this.
  13. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I launch the same as Wade with a rope tied to the trailer. No boat docks up this way which is actually a good thing, less boaters. The portion of river I fish is about 8-10 miles starting at lock 25 going north. There are no houses or structures of any kind on both sides of the river because it's conservation areas on both sides, makes for a nice quiet day on the river.

Fishfeen, jdstraka, twaskom and 2 others like this.
  14. Marine4life

Marine4life Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Mike
    Same as everyone, I fish solo a lot. I can usually launch and load pretty quick. I think guys waiting appreciate when you hustle. Had 4 boats pull in right behind me Saturday morning and hurried up to get out of their way. Fishing itself is much easier now with the remote TM. Hardest part is probably hanging up on a snag and trying to get free, bring in another rod and getting the boat going to get ahead of the snag. All takes a little practice. Best part is landing a 69 pounder by yourself and getting a nice selfie.

15. tall_jason79

tall_jason79 Well-Known Member

State:
    Saint Louis, Mo
    Is anyone fishing the CB tournament saturday night?

Fishfeen, the blues and south point like this.
  16. the blues

the blues Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Aren't you Jason?

Fishfeen likes this.
  17. wadekaminski

State:
    MO - Missouri
    Name:
    Wade
    Fishfeen, torn8ochaser and the blues like this.
  18. the blues

the blues Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Have fun. I'm sure you guys will do well.

19. Blind-Squirrel

Blind-Squirrel New Member

State:
    Florissant Mo.
    It going to be hot out there, I'm going

Fishfeen and the blues like this.
  20. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    You all be careful out there. Hope you have just enough breeze to help with the heat.

Fishfeen and the blues like this.