Missouri Crappie possession limit??

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Mr.T, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    We know that the possession limit on fish in Missouri is twice the daily limit unless otherwise specified in the fishing code.

But is that twice the daily limit of the waters where the fish were taken, or twice the daily limit in general for that species?

For example, on Truman and several other lakes, the daily limit is 15 crappie. On all other waters where there's no specific rule, the daily limit is 30 crappie.

So how many crappie can I legally have in my freezer at home? 30 or 60?

(It's a somewhat academic question, since (a) I'll never catch enough crappie to come close to the limits, and (b) I'd eat them long before I needed to worry about how many were in my freezer. But I'd still like to know the answer...)

2. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    The summary regulation booklet says “The possession limit is twice the statewide daily limit” It also says “You may posses no more than the daily limit of any given species while you are on the water, or the banks of waters, where daily limits for those species apply”

I think you are ok with 60 in the freezer, until someone comes along and tells us otherwise, lol.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Doggonit..

I missed the word "statewide"...

Sure cleared that one up in a hurry, didn't we??

4. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I don't believe that there's a actual possesion for your freezer. Possesion limits are mainly for fishing in the field. Say for example your out fishing and camping for three days. You catch and clean 30 crappie and bag and mark them and place in ice chest. The second day you catch 30 more crappie so you now have twice the daily possesion limit in your cooler. The third day for example you cannot take any more without taking them home and placing in your freezer. The amount you have in one's freezer doesn't matter. The possesion limits are for the field.

5. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Chris

You may well be right, I've heard that before. They don't seem to spell that out in the Missouri Wildlife Code, though, at least where I could find it. Their definition of "Possession" was pretty general.

Disclaimer... Any legal advice you take away from this thread may be worth exactly what you paid for it :eek:

6. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Missouri may be different but that's they way I've understood the law when I'm fishing in my state or any other. Mainly for a matter of record I date all the fish I place in my freezer along with the type of fish. I mainly do this to know which fish is which and what needs to be eaten. Now if for some insane reason the local wildlife dept wanted to check my home I for the record have all my fish and other wild game marked.

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO

That's not correct in Missouri!

Chapter 10 of the Missouri Wildlife code goes into great detail about possession and storage of wildlife. You can read it here if you want:

http://www.sos.mo.gov/adrules/csr/current/3csr/3c10-4.pdf

According to the code, we're all supposed to label all "stored wildlife" with our name, address, permit number, species and date placed in storage. I don't know anyone who does that, but we're supposed to and if you get into hot water, the conservation agents are within their rights to inspect your freezer and confiscate anything that's not labeled properly.

The bottom line is that the possession limit governs the total number of a species that you are allowed to possess at any one time, whether in the field or in your freezer at home. As Gary pointed out, there's usually a different possession limit when you're actually *on* the water or on it's banks.

Anyone who thinks they can go out day after day and take a limit of crappie, clean them and store them in the freezer is just plain wrong. When you get to 60 crappie total, including whatever may be in your freezer, you're done until you eat or give away some of them. Suppose you could give some to your wife, some to each of your kids, etc. and skirt the law that way.

8. catfishcentral

State:
    OK
    Thanks for the link and info.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    That sure clears things up - who would have thunk it was in the General Provisions section. :confused: :confused:

I'm guessing that freezer searches are pretty uncommon, but I'd rather stay legal, regardless of the chances of getting caught.

10. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    As long as there is no limit on frozen pizzas I should be pretty safe.

11. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm in trouble if there's a limit on little butter tubs with unidentifiable leftovers. I think I have a couple of tubs of my father's homemade spaghetti sauce. He passed away in 1991.

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    George Carlin: "Leftovers make you feel good twice. First, when you save them back in the refridgerator, you feel good for being so thrifty. Second, when you throw them away 2 years later, you feel good for saving your families life."