Missouri brother needs advice!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by Terry Day, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    I'm currently located in the Kansas City area. I retired about 3.5 years ago and have mainly been fishing the MO River. I have fished Truman during the Missouri gathering and learned how to drift fish at the Lake of the Ozarks. My wife will retire in a couple of years and I don't think that I want to stay in the KC area. So, I'm looking to relocate - to a lake that is not a corp lake. Not many of them in Missouri. I have been thinking about the Grand Lake. Met a guy at the KC Boat show last week that runs the Wild Cove Resort on Drowning Creek. I may pull the boat down there one of these days and check it out. My question is: How is the catfishing on the lake and is there (trouble) areas that I may want to stay away from? Any ideas on where to buy that has lake access with dock capabilities? Any assistance would be appreciated! Thanks - Terry

2. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Thanks Jeff - I appreciate the information.

3. Larry Collier

Larry Collier New Member

State:
    Wagoner, Oklahoma
    Hi Terry - I'm not sure but I think Grand is the only lake in NE Oklahoma that isn't a Corp lake. Grand is a great lake for just about any species you may want to go after. As far as locations for property Grove is the largest city on the lake with several real estate agencies. You might check with the local Grand Lake Association, or whatever it's called, for places that may be for sale by owner.

Best to ya

Larry

4. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Grand and Hudson Lake are both governed by the Grand River Dam Authority (GRDA)

The community of Disney, Oklahoma on the south end of the lake is host to a large community of beachfront homes that might be for sale.

Hudson Lake is a rather sleepy area with a very relaxed attitude that would make a nice retirement home... and does for hundreds of folks.

The GRDA allows private waterfront development and private boat docks where the Corps does not.

Both Grand and Hudson are well known for their great fishing.

Hope this helps.

5. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Great information - keep it comong! The wife and I are already planning a trip down to take a look. Who would a good guide service to use to take a short (4) hour trip to check out the water. Thanks

6. jugginman

jugginman New Member

State:
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    Hey Terry, I do not if I can give you much help or not, but I will give it a shot. GRand Starts at the dam with water going as deep as 110 feet, and about 15 miles up the lake is sail boat bridge, every thing above that is shallower with several rivers coming into the lake. I have fished both hudson and grand, I have found a lot more blue cats in Grand. I have caught a laot of Blues from the dam all of athe way to sail boat. In the winter you can catch large blues in the 90 foot water. You can find any type of a home you are looking for on grand from a floating dock with sleeping room in it all the way up to 3-4 Million Dollar homes...If you are looking for a guide Try thie web site.http://grandfishingreport.com/pgs/guides/ivanspage.htm
    The also have the Cherokee Queen which is a paddle boat that will take you out on the lake. hope this helps.

7. okiecop

okiecop New Member

State:
    Grove, OK
    Terry,
    Grand lake is a great place to live. There are all kinds of places you can buy. Here in Grove the houses tend to be a bit more expensive than on some other parts of the lake but any lakefront property is going to be high. If you have a boat with a depth finder then you can see where you may want to fish and maybe buy a place on that part of the lake.

I have lived here in Grove for the last 14 yrs. You can also check with most of the realty places on line. hope this helps ya out.

8. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    Ray, I did a search for Grand Lake and came across a real estate link. I called three of them and they are going to mail me a copy of their current listings. Thanks for the assistance! Terry