Missouri bait regulations?

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by mo.whiskers70, Oct 24, 2007.

1. mo.whiskers70

mo.whiskers70 New Member

State:
    missouri
    What is the reg on bait? Are bluegill legal? I was told recently that any game fish you aren't allowed to be used as bait, is bluegill considered a game fish since they are eaten by people( MEEEE!!!!:big_smile:) every now and then I like to throw one (head) on a hook. I have had pretty good luck with them in the past, but I was never awear about the gamefish thing. Good luck to anyone going out, I hope you get that BIG one:big_smile:

2. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    no they arent considered a game fish ...they are legal to us im pretty sure.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    At the risk of starting yet another flame war for simply answering a question with honest-to-goodness fact-based information, here's the scoop:

Bluegill, green sunfish and bullheads are non-game fish. As such, they can be used as live bait. Subject a couple of special cases:

* If you catch them in a throw net, trap, seine, etc., any of the above fish over 5" long must be released immediately.

* If you catch them using a pole and line, there is no length restriction.

The daily limits are different depending on how big the fish are (under or over 5") and how you caught them. Keep yourself to 50 per day and you'll never have a problem.

(Note that I'd reference the specific sections of the wildlife code that this comes from, but that just makes some folks here think I'm an ego-centric know-it-all. If you really want to know, send me a PM and I'll give you chapter-and-verse...)

4. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    What if you catch them on a sabaki rig:wink:

5. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Thanks Marty for info on bait
    Jim

6. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Don't ya just hate when that happens? People who think they know it all, are a real pain to those of us who really do! LOL

7. turtle1173

turtle1173 Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Kutter, was it you that wrote that best selling book?.... "Humility and how I achieved it!"

Tell us again what your "professional" name is??:big_smile:

8. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Bluegill, hopefully, cause MrT missed it.

Good one!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Or he craftly avoided the bait. LOL:wink:

10. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    Mr. T very good and correct answer. Kutter, funny you said that because I think that way most of the time :big_smile_2:

11. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    That would be the 12th edition that is out now, if I recall. (Of course, I always recall correctly.)

George!!! Man, it's been so long since I heard from you. I thought you was dead! I've been tellin folks there are no catfish below Clearwater Lake an waiting for you to invite me down to prove me wrong. I don't think my river Jon would handle the Black River down there, too big. I did make the mistake of letting it get too close to Cuz's Big Daddy SeaArk, so I now have a little 14 ft shallow jonboat to show for that mistake. (I think the least Cuz could do is help pay for the upkeep. LOL) It might need a maiden voyage down that way if my butt could handle the ride in a plain jane jon boat.

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Dear Ego-Centric Know-It-All,Thanks for the great belly laugh I just enjoyed.Maintaining ones sense of humor in the face of adversity is a mark of maturity OR just Being a fisherman from Missouri!!!!!:big_smile::smile2:I am beginning to think about saying "DONT MAKE ME COME OUT THERE":wink::roll_eyes::crazy:None the less,thanks for peeking out of your bunker/foxhole and once again trying to help a fellow member.WHats with you Missouri guys??????:tounge_out:It would probably help a little if instead of taking the easy way out and starting a thread like;"IS IT LEGAL IN MISSOURI TO HOOK SABIKI CAUGHT SKIPJACKS IN THE ANAL VENT"if everybody just read their free copy of the regs to start with.:eek:oooh:That of course pre supposes that all fishermen in Missouri can read which might be a gigantic leap of fate.:smile2::big_smile:So OK this was Missouri week on the BOC,hopefully there are no unanswered questions.WHich state is next?:big_smile::smile2:

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I wasn't aware it was just a Missouri thing. Then again, I don't go to other states forums on here to learn about catfishing or hear about all the big cats being caught. I see you must agree, being here reading an all. An quit pickin on MR T, he's ours to pick on, you leave him alone. LOL

14. Catman

Catman New Member

State:
    Randolph, Nebraska
    No I didn't die..Tom just been practicing for the real thing. As for the fishing below the dam at Clearwater, I have not caught a flathead yet this year. Haven't been fishing as much as I like. I have caught 1 good sized channel cat on cut shad. ( about 6 and 1/2 lbs.) the rest have been in the 2 to 3 lb. range. But they make a pretty good dinner. You will need a jet-prop if you want to fish out of sight of the camping area below the dam. I've tried several times to go downstream and every time I have ended up wading and dragging my boat back home. Finally gave up ,sold boat, and cried about it every since.

15. cheapNdisgusting

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    Thanks for stopping by to have a laugh or two. But I don't think you were looking for humor when you came here to the Missouri boards. Probably wanted to learn "catfishing" from the BEST WOULD BE MORE LIKE IT.

Glad you came by and are always welcome.