Missouri and Mississippi Rivers Water Levels

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by cpalombo, May 5, 2007.

1. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Dumb question here and I know that there is a good answer (link) to find this out but... where do you go to see the current water level for the MO and Miss rivers near St Louis?

Thanks in advance.

CP

2. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO

3. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Thanks. I appreciate the help.

CP

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Best one I have found is Mississippi River Basin Table .That one tell all of the rivers in this area.Or you can go to River and Reservoir Report. That is the best two I've found.Hope this helps some.

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Pardon the short interruption, but John, just where is Louisiana, MO? Your on the Google map as just outside of Hillsboro???

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Hey tom, Louisianna is a small town right on the river between Troy and Hannibal. It lies between the Clarkesville and Saverton Dams. Ol MRR has some "honey Holes" in there but he wont share. :angry: Probably cuz he knows the Cooks tourney is coming in August. I got to meet him at Cooks last year. They truly are great people. I think we are trying to get a mini get together a couple days prior to the Cooks tourney.. John, you still up for that?

7. OlDrum

OlDrum New Member

State:
    Missouri
  8. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Where might I find out about the Cooks Tourney? I have dont have a shot in a million at placing, but I would love to go and try.

CP

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

Here you go my friend. Click on the link below. The Cooks tourney is truly a great tournament. It more laid back, and low key and seems to be more family oriented. There will be close to 100 boats this year. The good thing is, you only need to weigh one fish to be put into the drawing for the grandprize. (Boat, motor and trailer this year) There is also a nice cookout during and after the weigh in. AS well, you get lots of FREE goodies. Hats, shirts, keychains that type of thing. Give Sean or Drew at Cooks a call if you have questions. Tell Em Cuz (John Allen) sent ya. Nice folks. See Ya at the tourney. It is an absolute blast to fish that one. Probably my favorite one and you just might walk away with a brand new rig.

http://www.cooksboats.com/tournament_entry_form.htm

10. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Yeah, wut cuz said. I only caught 7lbs of fish last year but I won a boat and trailer. Not bad for 40 dollars. Plus I got free food, tshirts and stuff.

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Kutter, I sure ain't near Hillsboro,Don't know how that got on there ..
    Louisiana,Mo. is approx 54 miles north of I-70 going up highway 79.We are 30 South of Hannibal,Mo.We are right on the Mississippi River. Hope this helps some.

12. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

See Cpalombo, if the NoCatFishbob can win a boat and trailer, ANYBODY can win it. :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: :big_smile: Sorry Bob, ya know i couldnt pass up a chance at that Jab. :wink:

13. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    yeh Cuz I still up to it. Never did say does the one spot sound ok or not. Plenty of room should be anyway plus boat ramp.No electric or bathrooms but hey we can rough it. Right.Let me knowwhat you think.
    The place I'm refering to is only about 1 mile if that from the Clarksville Dam.Between Louisiana and Clarksville.
    Your right Cooks Tourn is a great tourn and no I don't have any Honey Holes. Don't fish that area much(by boat anyway)don't have one:sad2: Looks like some good spots though.

14. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Here's what I use:

http://mo.water.usgs.gov/

Just click your region on the map and choose the monitoring station in which you're interested. There's lots of info there, some stations track pH and turbidity as well as dissolved oxygen. Most simply track discharge and gauge levels.

15. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Thanks Cube. I hope to get out Satureday, still waiting to see who can go with me. I am trying to decide between MO and Miss Rivers. I am hoping the water levels will help me decide. I love living in O Fallon, what great choices.

CP

16. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Here it is on Saturday and I am going out at noon. I plan on sending all day poking around the Welton area and finding new holes now that the Miss water level has gone back down. Today is where I try all the stuff I read this winter on catching, finding, and thinking like a catfish...

For instance... I will try to catch bait today. Not that I dislike burning $15 at an outing to buy shad, worms, liver, and other protine. However, I would like my various baits to be cheeper. Self suficiency is great, . Mind you, catching bait is still theory to me (I have read a lot about it, and will actually be taking my notes with me onto the river today with my net). Yes, you can be a geek about fishing and take notes with you on your boat. Remember that geeks start out slow and generally evolve to sucess later in life (if they dont go postal along the way).

17. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    dont be shy about taking notes.all your really good catfishermen take notes.especialy thoes that fish a lot of diferent waters.

18. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    I will say that fishing is a lot like gambling. And, gambling is all about data. Information. I like fishing partly because there are 200,000 variable, 25,000 choices, and you have to use data and judgement to string together a good outcome. Fishing is a detail sport.

I use a lot of maps, notes, and resources to fish. It may sound funny to ole'timers that just get out with the hotdogs and hooks, but I think I am a better fisherman for using and recording a lot of data. Also, it is not a big pain for me to take a lot of notes, or spend 2 hrs on-line before I fish to check weather patterns, river levels, bait behavior, seasons, etc. It has become part of the ritual.

One other thing... I have lived all over the United States. Every time I move, I ask myself "what world class fishery is in this area, and what body fo water will I focus on for the next 4 years to become a master of that fishery?" In Michigan, it was pike and walleye. In Louisiana it was inland saltwater. In Wisconsin, it was salmon, stream trout, lake trout, etc. Here, it is catfish. I have yet to achive "master" status in any of these (I am pretty good at catching stream brook trout and great lakes walleye though). In the end, it a hoot to learn from others on a new area of knowlege, and also fun to share what you know.