missouri and kansas rivers

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by medford, Jan 23, 2009.

1. medford

medford New Member

State:
    pleasant h
    wanting to start river fishing is there any advice or things i need to know first? is there a chart or signs i can check on to avoid sand areas and hazzards?

2. joer

joer New Member

State:
    columbiaMo
    Steve my best advice is to go out with someone that knows the river. It changes some every year. Where there was once a sand bar there could be none the next year. I use this web site (Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service) to tell me what level the river is at. However you have to know for your area what a normal river level is vs. flood stage. The toughest time is when the wing dikes are slightly under water that's when it's more dangerous. Also you can buy a cheap hand held gps where you can mark a track or route, save it so next time you go out you can run the same route safetly....that's how I navigate in the dark. Also do this when the river is low and at daylight so you can see all the dangers. Good luck.

3. heyop_erator

heyop_erator New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Great advice and I can't add anything except "good luck":wink:

4. Phoneman53

Phoneman53 New Member

State:
    Olivet, Kansas,
    When you are learning a new river,,,take your time,,,after you get familiar with it and think you know it well enough to not take your time,,,take your time any way,,,there might be a new log there that wasn't there the last time you were through the same place....

5. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    The MO navigation markers are maintained by the Coast Guard. There are daymarks on both banks to guide you through the channel and there are also buoys. There are two types of daymarks - passing and crossing. If you'll google "navigation markers" or something similar you should find the CG site that has an explanation of how to "read" them. The channel basically runs on the outside bends and the channel markers keep you zig-zagging back and forth from outside bend to outside bend to keep you in the deepest water. Attached is a quick sketch to give you an idea how they work. It's not the best, but it gives you an idea how you use the markers. Joe's advice to take a trip with someone familliar with the river is great advice, so is the GPS tip. It's a lifesaver at night during high water or in the fog.

As far as the Kansas, it's been the ruin of many a lower unit:smile2: It's not marked like the MO and your best bet there is either a) fish it with someone willing to show you the ropes so you can get an idea of how it is or b) take it easy until you figure out where it's safe to run.

Both rivers are great place to fish once you get used to them. Pay attention and they're as safe and enjoyable a places as there is to spend time on the water. Good luck!

Branden

Attached Files:

6. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Hey Steve when the weather warms up PM me and I will take you out on the river. We can just run or fish what ever you want to do. I have been fishing the mo river for years.

Tom

7. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Steve where is the picture in your avitar at? It looks like it is at Osceola camp ground. That is one place the wife and I go quite a bit.

Tom

8. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I bet it is Tom. He told me the other day that he fishes there at Osceola quite a bit.