Missouri 340 Underway

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Mr.T, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The annual Missouri 340 race from KC to St. Charles on the Missouri River is underway - something upwards of 150 boats I think they said on the news. The Missouri is going to be littered with small boats for the next 100 hours or so.

If you're out on the river over the next few days, please be careful - especially at night, as these folks paddle their canoes and kayaks 24 hours a day with no lighting to speak of.

http://www.rivermiles.com/mr340/page2.html

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Shoot them dumb morons. You should of seen the dudes that left kaw point right before the shotgun start of a 23 boat tourny. They where told to hold off. I know there where at least 4 boats that where doing 50+ when they went by them guys......

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    :0a37::0a22::0a17::0a10::0a5::0a19::0a4:

4. duckalot

duckalot Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    TV said that the winner should show up in St. Louis sometime late Thur. or Early Fri. If I figured this right 340 miles in 96 hr. they would have to average 3.5 mph non stop. They said they had Eight scheduled stops. So how many mph will they average? Better them then me. I don't think I would take on that trip in my 20 ft. Seaark, even if someone else bought the gas.
    :eek:oooh:

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Well, they'll get about 3 or 4 mph for free just from the current. Add another 3 or 4 mph when they're actively paddling and that moves them right along. And some of them go quite a bit faster

Last year's winner did it in a little over 46 hours. Thats about 7.4 mph average.

6. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    you couldnt get me in a canoe on the river.that just sounds crazy

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    It sounds like a blast. Put a floation pod on each side and fill the coolers up, would be a lot of fun. :0a17:

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I'm with Troy - floating along, not worrying about gas or mechanical difficulties would be kind of nice. Till Josh went screaming by at 40 mph and swamped me:big_smile:

Just gotta watch out for those whirlpools that can suck a boat under:smile2:

9. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
  10. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    If I had the time to do it I think it would be fun. Just wouldnt want to do it at a racing pace. Just do it at my pace and enjoy.

Tom

11. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    Yea , i would be last ,I would be saying every mile (That looks like a good place for a blue )and stop and get a pole out.:wink::wink::wink:

12. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I've been giving some thought to attempting the 340...not competitively, but in my own time and at my own pace (i.e. a week-plus float/camp/fish). The prospects are daunting, but it'd be an accomplishment and something to talk to the grandkids about.

And in case anyone is wondering, it is not only GOOD SEAMANSHIP (and possibly interpreted as the law) to give way to an sailing vessel when operating a powered vessel (except in special circumstances).

http://www.boat-ed.com/mo/handbook/meet.htm
    http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/navrules_faq.htm#0.3_12

Then again, if an vessel's operator refuses to display required navigation and running lights when underway at night (or at anchor), I can't imagine they'd pay any mind to good seamanship let alone USCG regulations. :angry: