mississippi wingdams

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Jewishcatfish, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Jewishcatfish

Jewishcatfish New Member

State:
    Cresco Iowa
    Myself and friend have been questing for fight in pools 8 and 9 of the mighty mississippi and well either were dumn or if it wasn't for bad luck we would have no luck at all. We would like some advice on how to fish wingdams. What to look for in a wingdam and what part of it are we suppose to fish to wrestle a fat flattie. :confused:

2. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I would say fish in the slack area just by the end of the wingdam where the water is swirling. The cats will wait there for baitfish coming around the end of it.

3. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I would have to agree with JAYNC. Flatheads are not the heavy current fish that blues are, they prefer the slack areas on the edge of currents. So if fishing wingdikes, what he said would make perfect sense. By the way, I caught a flat, about 15 lb, last week in that exact location of the dike.

4. Jewishcatfish

Jewishcatfish New Member

State:
    Cresco Iowa
    I have tried that area on the end of the wingdam a couple of times without luck I guess I will keep trying at different wingdams. Another person I had spoken with said that the fronts of them have a pocket or a push he called it at the bottom of front side where there is no current would that hold flatheads also???

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Not sure what you mean, but sounds like it would; calm water next to current.
    Fishing around wingdikes are usually a win/lose situation. Either their there or not. If they are there, you'll get a bite fairly quick. If they are not there, leave and come back after a few hours or the next day. One thing I've noticed, if they are near the tip of the dike, they are hungry.
    That's the reason most catfishers only fish the dikes for a half hour or less before moving on to the next one.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    Catfishing is weird sometimes, one day you will go and never set a rod down and the next day you are counting the clouds in the sky. I guess thats how it goes but , its worth it to get out there as much as you can because everyones day is coming to catch a monster.