Mississippi Trollin

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by oldstylelight, Sep 18, 2006.

1. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    was out sunday morning on the miss and did some trolling as long as the wind allowed us... got 2 nice fish. a 7 and a 6.. also got 3 or 4, 1# fish (all caught on shad heads!) aggressive little buggers... was trying different hooks, a couple kahles 4/0 and a #2/0 straight bait holder. lost a few good bites on the kahles and had good one hooked for a few seconds on the straight hook and lost it. gonna go back to octo circles for trollin i think.
    I have a question to anyone. I am in a tournament next weekend on the miss (out of camanche, ia open to anyone. Litehouse bar and grill. sign up the night before at the litehouse, fish 7-1 saturday, i think) anyways, the weather is supposed to take a good cool snap here this week.. what will that change for the fishing? will they be more sluggish? or looking to feed before it gets colder? should use smaller sized cut bait? should i continue to troll with the cooler weather. I could debate this for some time in my own head or with others... gotta love cattin.

2. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa
    nice fish caught there dave, i was in a tournament on sunday at muscatine and trolled all day, took second again. this tournament you could weigh in 20 cats, i had 17 for 55 pounds the winning team had 20 for 61 pounds. so on to your questions, i dont think the cold snap will effect them that much. when water temps start to drop this time of the year it should turn them on, it will realy turn them on when water temps get down to the mid 50s. i did use small shad sunday with good luck sence this is what you would fine in the rivers right now. i would put on the gut pocket and the head.

by all means you should still troll i have drifted and trolled when water temps where down in the 50s. what i do is slow down my troll or drift in cooler water, this is where a gps comes in handy. as for where should you troll, i would try deep water and shallow. but when water temps get into the 50s i would go deep. all my fish caught this weekend was in 18 to 21 foot of water.
    this is what i will do this coming weekend, i have another tournament on the miss.

clayton

3. Burwell40

Burwell40 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah, what Clayton said. And I'd definitely get back to the cirlcles.

Clayton, tell them why you're not fishing saturday...meow, meow.

4. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    Thanks you two. I really appreciate your responses. Good luck this weekend Mike up at coralville, same to you clayton,... i will try my darndest trying to troll saturday... (with my fishing partner that i have converted from stink bait) would have been impossible today with the wind!

another quick Q. I have been making my drop lines of sinkers with 14# test mono. i am thinking of goin to a lighter weight line so i can easily pull out of snags rather than have to reel all 3 other poles in the boat. would that help? i hate having to reel all poles in cause one is so snagged and cant troll through it to replace the sinker setup...

5. sltrnsam

sltrnsam New Member

State:
    Iowa

i use 80 pound power pro with a 50 pound leader so you can imagine how hard it is to get out of a snag. this is what i do, i wrap the line around the anchour clet and put the trolling motor on high and if that dont do it i hit the boat motor. sometimes i will get it all out and save everything or lose all. this way you dont have to reel in all the rods. when it comes free just contuine to troll.