mississippi river

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by DAREWOOD11, Jun 3, 2008.

1. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    im wanting any information that anyone will give me on fishing where the des moines river enters the mississippi river. is the fishing very good there for flatheads? is there campgrounds and boat access near there?? thanks to all who reply!!

2. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    I think the Des Moines enters the Mississippi just South of Keokuk. If thats the case then you wont have a problem finding a boat access and campground. Talk to Sporticus1 he will fix you up. I think i remember him saying he puts the boat in in Keokuk and goes up the Des Moines.

If youre targeting Flatheads you might have luck going to the Skunk river. It runs into the Mississippi about 30 miles "rough estimate" North of the Mouth of the Des Moines and i know for a fact it produces 50+ pound flatheads. Its flooded right now though.

3. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    The Skunk enters the Mississippi south of Burlington and north of Fort Madison.
    Its been 50 years since I fished the lower Skunk so I can't help you with details.

The Des Moines does indeed enter the Mississippi south of Keokuk.
    Its the state line.
    I can't help you at all with that one. I do know Catfish Kenny fished up the Des Moines last weekend and I've talked to him enough that I know he's a regular up there.
    good luck
    just

4. DAREWOOD11

DAREWOOD11 Member

State:
    IOWA
    thanks for the info guys!

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hello Darewood11, The boys aint telling you wrong. The Des Moines river does let out below Keokuk, and it is the State line. There is some good flathead spots on it also. right now the Des Moines is raging. There are camping spots available on the Mississippi river very close to the boat ramp. Come on down, I'll even get catfish Kenny off of the couch. LOL We might even give you the big tour. LOL
    Later Andy

6. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I will get off the couch when the water goes down-man she is ugly-The Des Mion is about 6inche from being out of banks