Mississippi River!

Discussion in 'WISCONSIN RIVER TALK' started by PiscMonkey, May 13, 2008.

1. PiscMonkey

PiscMonkey New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Has anyone in Wisconsin fished on the Miss, River for Blues, Channels & Flats? reason for asking is that I'm planning to gor there in July on Goose Island. :cool2:

2. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    sorry, i have don't have any fishing reports or anything like that other than i don't think blues make it up that far. what i would suggest though is checking out this site, you might find some info there

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/postlist.php/Cat/0/Board/cats

i might take a little wonder out that way sometime this year, not sure though. also, if you make it up to winona, there is an ace hardware thats down on 2nd street. the gentleman that sorta runs the fishing department might be able to give you some info. he fishes the miss and guides a little bit on the side.

3. CatOly

CatOly New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I live down in the very southwest corner of the state. As has been said there are no blues, although lots of times male channel cats get confused as blues. There should be tons of channel cats, and some flats up by La Crosse. The channels should be tearing up the stink bait in July!

4. PiscMonkey

PiscMonkey New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Thanks I shall try stinkbait along with cut shad! :cool2:

5. GoCatGo

GoCatGo New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    My son and I fish the Goose Island area quite a bit. We don't fish channels at all but there are some dandy flatties in the LaCrosse area. Our biggest last year was 36 lbs. There are bigger ones caught there. We use 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 inch bluegills or bullheads as live-bait. If you fish the Minnesota side of the river you can not use bluegills as bait. Good luck.

6. CatOly

CatOly New Member

State:
    Wisconsin

Does the Minnesota side have different rules on how many poles you can use? I know down on the border with Iowa, it's 3 poles in Wisconsin, and only 2 poles in Iowa.

To make it even tougher, the border area I fish most often, the border is not the main channel, it's an old channel that's not used for navigation anymore.:eek:oooh:

7. ninrugger

ninrugger New Member

State:
    WI
    i could be wrong and way off base, but i was under the impression that when fishing state border waters, the regulations you follow depend on what state you launch your boat in. if you launch on the wisconsin side, you need to have a wisconsin fishing license and follow the WI rules. the same for minnesota. not sure how iowa works....that state is kinda backwards anyway. :wink: for this reason, a lot of neighboring states have the same regulations on these border waters to prevent atleast a little bit of the confusion. i'm not sure how it works as far as putting in up here and heading 100 miles down river through locks and stuff....

8. CatOly

CatOly New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    My understanding is (at least on the border with Iowa) that your license is valid railroad tracks to railroad tracks, but you have to follow the rules of the state you are fishing in. Limits are the same, but the number of poles or baits (2 in IA, 3 in WI) are different. I'm not sure if even the same baits can be used on both sides of the river.

9. CatOly

CatOly New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I checked the Wisconsin and Iowa regs, and they both list following the rules of the state you are fishing in. I was half correct on the pole rule. Wisconsin is up to three hooks, which can be on three poles. Iowa you can only have two poles out, but you can have two baits per line, so up to 4 baits.

Checking the Minnesota regs it says two bait maximum. I did not see their ruling on which rules you need to follow, but the Wisconsin regs state you have to follow the rules of the state you are fishing in.

Most of the time the navigation channel determines which state you are fishing in, but by me it is not the official border for about a 5 or six mile stretch. This may occur in other parts of the river as well, so be careful with the number of poles or baits you have out if you are not sure. The limits are the same for both states. Also your state license is valid between the tracks on the Minnesota boundary waters. It doesn't matter what state you launch in as long as you have a valid license for one of the states on the border (resident or non resident.)

10. GoCatGo

GoCatGo New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    There are different rules for each state when it comes to fishing border waters. The main thing to keep in mind is "when fishing the Wisconsin side of the imaginary line down the center of the channel, obey Wisconsin laws. When on the Minnesota side of said line, obey Minnesota laws. This gets a little hairy when fishing bluegills because there is a study going on in Minnesota on a few pools with a limit of 10 gills per day. Well in Wisconsin, on the same pools the limit is 25. If you get caught on the Minnesota side of the line with more than 10 gills per person............you're pinched!! Also on the Minnesota side of the river bluegills are not allowed as flattie bait. Bullheads...and I believe they can not be longer than 7 1/2" but I am not certain of that being the max...........could be less. Also if you are fishing the Minnesota side of the river, a treble hook is considered 3 lines unless you have a flasher blade withing 3 inches of the hook. Then it is considered an artificial bait. Can you believe that??!! We use strictly 8/0 Owners so that isn't a problem for us. It pays to read the rule books of each state and if you are uncertain............call a C.O. or a local DNR station.

We were out on pool 5 on Saturday evening and had a great night. We had 11 hook-ups and boated 8 flatties. We had 3 over 21#, 2 over 11#, 2 over 8# and 1 over 7#. We actually ran out of gills for bait. The flattie bite is definately on in this area of the Mississippi. Word is out that it should be good for a few more weeks before the slowdown for the spawn starts. Get out there and have some fun!!!!

11. CatOly

CatOly New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    GoCatGo, I'm fishing down about 6 dams from you, primarily the first 5 or 6 miles above the dam. What type of water are you looking for to catch the big flatties? I mainly have the old channels that surrounded the islands before the dams were built, and mud flats. There are some wing dams, and a few holes that are 25 to 30 feet deep, but not many. Most of the river is 2 1/2 to 3 miles wide. Any advice would be appreciated.

12. GoCatGo

GoCatGo New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Saturday night we went to a favorite spot right on the main channel that has a 20' to 25' hole with wood that comes up to a 12 to 15' upstream flat but with the flow being up as high as it is, we had a hard time staying in place with 20# anchors. So we went looking for a spot with a little less current to contend with. We found a stretch with rip-rap that had a max depth of 15' that came up to 5' on the upstream side. We anchored in the 5' area and placed our baits on the leading edge of deeper water. This turned out to be what we were looking for. My son had an eleven pounder hooked up before he had his second rod rigged up.

Almost all the areas we fish are areas along the shoreline or an island that not only drop from shallow water upstream to deep water downstream, but from shallow water along the bank or island to deeper water into the main channel or current source. That way we can cover different depths to try to locate fish. It is surprising how big a flattie you can catch in less than 5' of water.

I hope this will help you in some way and good luck. Don't be afraid to try something different when looking for the "big fish". We usually look for at least some current and 2 of 3 things......Water at least 8 to 10', wood and/or rocks. GOOD LUCK!!!

13. CatOly

CatOly New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Thanks GoCatGo. Unfortunately the river is like a giant lake where I fish, but does have current. There is not much for wood in the water I fish, except on the really shallow mud flats with no current. I guess I will be working over the wing dams, and try to figure out where the big ones lay.

14. GoCatGo

GoCatGo New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I'm going to guess that the wingdams should hold fish too. You just have to weed out the poor ones. Locate the ones that have rock that not only funnels the current in the channel, but also have rock running parallel to the current. These rocks running parallel will act as a "river bank". Find the ones with deep holes with a shallower flat upstream. Let me know how this works for you.

15. PiscMonkey

PiscMonkey New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Thanks GoCat! the day I'll be at Goose Island night of 15th thru the 20th at noon. Hope we'd run into each other, tho my name is the same on a couple other fishing clubs. :wink:

16. Jeff Meyer

Jeff Meyer New Member

State:
    Mineral Point, Wisconsin
    Hey there, the NAFC meet is over, how did you do at Goose Island? One of these years Mama and I are going to show up for that weekend. Probably after the kids are all off on their own.:tounge_out:

Jeff

17. GoCatGo

GoCatGo New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Went out Friday evening with a few friends onto pool 5 below Alma, WI. We didn't have numbers but we had quality.............The first pic is a 21 lb'er, while the second one weighed in at 37.5 lbs. The big one was the first flathead that kid had ever caught. I think he's hooked!!!

Attached Files: