Mississippi River

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by kickin_wing, May 3, 2007.

1. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I fish the mighty Miss here in Quincy Il up to Meyer dam and down to savetrton dam by Hannibal. Just wondering if anyone here fishes this area and if they have caught anything lately. I catch a few flatheads and channels in the summer but any other time i dont catch to many. If you got any tips you want to share to fish this time of year or even in the summer id like to know.:0a31:

2. fabius_river_rat

fabius_river_rat New Member

State:
    Northeast Missouri
    Hey Kickin Wing, I'm just across from ya on the Missouri side and I'm going to be fishing quite a bit from Quincy south to Saverton this year. I dont know much about this section of water, but I'm going to head out in the morning and cruise it to get somewhat familiar, and probaly get my line wet. I've fished the pool below Saverton pretty hard for the last 6 years, but now I live up here so I'm going to venture into new water. Anyway we'll have to hook up and catch a flatty sometime.

3. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    There is a lot of commercial net action in that area, for the StLouis area market.When you take 500# aweek and this is just one fisherman you really make a dent in the amount of fish and the size you get.

4. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yes there is a lot of comercial fishermen. I think every time i go out i see someone checking their nets. I dont like that very much because like you said they take hundreds of lbs of fish out every day and they dont care how big it is or how many they got. I wish catfish were considered game fish so they couldnt fish them like that. One thing else that make me mad is that someone told me that most of the fish that are caught comercialy arent even use for food they are used for fertilizers and things like that. I just dont like those scum comercial fishermen in our waters.

5. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    They sell them for food.The only fish sold for pet food or fish meal that i know of is Asian Carp,and the more they get rid of the better.

6. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Hey,guys,my mother in law lives in Quincy,and we visit about twice a year.Not sure of the name,but I've fished the lock and dam just south of town a few times(near a grain plant?)Never had much luck from the bank,a few channels,drum and carp.
    I'm not used to seeing commercial fishing,was an education to watch them run the nets.They were not too talkative,but what I could see they were mainly getting carp.lotsa carp:lol: