Mississippi river

Discussion in 'LOCAL LOUISIANA TALK' started by Keith Mette, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Keith Mette

Keith Mette Horse-MON Supporting Member

State:
    Palmyra,Mo
    Does anyone fish the river near Baton Rouge

2. BAYOU-FLATHEAD

BAYOU-FLATHEAD New Member

State:
    AR
    We launch down by the new bridge and fish a few areas around there. I would not waste my time right now, too much water. When it drops it they will turn on. I have not found alot of places around there that are sure bets but if you fish hard you can find them. Be careful the barge and ship traffic in that area is no joke.

3. henryhayes

henryhayes New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Flathead:

Is it safe to fish the Miss River where you do in a 17-foot Express bass boat, when the water is realatively low? Any special precautions to take? Can you give me more detail on how to catch catfish there?

Thanks.

4. Bayou Gladiator

Bayou Gladiator New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good morning Catman

I have fished the Mississippi near Baton Rouge a few times. The most effective way is to look for eddys or bends in the river. I normally find the fish on my fish finder and anchor up stream from them. Look for fish or a school of fish that are 10' or less from the bottom. These will more than likely be catifish. I also look for a substantial drop off. Catfish are pretty lazy and the drop off will deflect the current over their heads and allow them to lounge around waiting on my bait. Anchor the boat upstream from the drop off and just let the bait drift down to them.

Also the 17' Express is an excellent choice. I started in the river in 1988 when all of the limits were put on the salt water fish and had it pretty much prefected by the nineties. I started in a small bateau with a wooden paddle, just make sure the bilge is working in case you hit a wake wrong.

Bayou Gladiator

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  5. henryhayes

henryhayes New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Gladiator:

Thanks for taking the time, Gladiator, to respond to my questions with that excellent information. I believe I'll get them this spring. Have had no luck in the Atchafalaya in four trips so far this winter. Have caught some nice caspergou, though, when the water was low and clear last fall. I've made some fish-attractant devices with perforated 2-inch PVC and plan to try that too. One guy told me he has used milo, corn, wheat and soybeans and that sour soybeans worked best, so you might want to try it, too.

Thanks again.

6. Bayou Gladiator

Bayou Gladiator New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Well Catman

I will be out there when the BR scale reaches 32'. One thing I always say, the catfish are always biting. At 32' or below I find the current more manageable. I have never tried any chum, but I do use chicken livers for bait. The catfish love them. One more thing, keep the bait on the bottom and he will hit it.

Bayou Gladiator