Mississippi River-World Class Catfishing "part 7"

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by rwilley3, Dec 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Got the monkey off my back and got me a big ole fat doe this afternoon. Only problem was I got her with my truck. Lucky my aim was good and I got her with middle of front bumper and only broke my grill from what I can tell. Only problem I messed up one ham pretty good but saved the other and both backstraps and shoulders.:cool2: I came with a foot or two of hitting one this morning so they seem to be moving pretty good but I am sure that will stop by Sat.:tounge_out:

2. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Way to go Roger. I forgot to mention it but I had a somewhat close call with one last weekend on my way to meet up with Chris. There was a buck crossing 51 up around 87 at about 5:30 am. kinda startled me when I saw him.
    I'm off all week next week so I plan on doing some fishing. I don't expect to do much good but you never know, the only thing sure about luck is that it will change. :wink:

3. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
  4. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Today I was planning on doing some bank fishing North of Memphis but had a real hard time catching some bait. Finally after trying 2 different ponds with hook and line and a cast net, I managed to put together a total of 5 small Bluegill. With time becoming a factor I decided to fish my usual spot by the Wolf River. I did'nt even get a bite but did get to enjoy a beautiful day outside and had some good company when the Ward brothers stopped by to chat awhile. The River was lower than I've seen it all year and filled with leaves. Seagulls were swarming the barge wakes by the hundreds. Everything was great except for the familar aroma of you know what. :smile2:

5. jdoyle

jdoyle New Member

State:
    AR
    Patrick, I saw a guy bank fishing when I was launching my boat and wondered if it was you. There was also a boat parked in front of you. It was around 2:00. If I had known ya'll were having a small BOC gathering I would've stopped by. I was on my across the river to go deer hunting. I will stop by next time I see you!!

6. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    That was us Josh. Anytime you see me just cruise by and say hi or come ashore and chat awhile.

7. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Today I went and fished up north of Memphis around Keys Point. All I can say is 38 degrees is allot colder than I envisioned it :cool2:. And the 10-20 mph winds felt more like "gail force" at times. I only fished for about an hour and a half before giving up and opting to do some prospecting. I could'nt even hold a tight line. I combed the entire stretch of river along Hwy 19 and then traveled all the way down hwy 87 only to be informed that the refuge area is closed til March. The ranger told me that bank fisherman pull out 30-40 lbers all the time down there. Sounds like my kind of spot. :wink:
    Has anyone besides me been doing any fishing? If not I completely understand why.

8. jdward

jdward New Member

State:
    Memphis, TN
    I think me and ole Patrick are gonna try some of those winter time blues this weekend. I sure hope our trip ends up better than my duck hunting adventures here lately. The river seems to be on a slight rise so maybe it'll move some of these fish around and make em a little easier to catch:wink:. My question is do any of you "ole pros" have any hints you'd be willing to give away to this novice for some wintertime blue cat fishin? Anyway, good luck to all ya'll deer hunting, fishing, or just relaxing takin a break for the winter:big_smile:!!

9. jdoyle

jdoyle New Member

State:
    AR
    I am certainly no pro, but from what I know most of the blues go to deep slow current holes this time of year. I spoke with a well known catfish angler (big cat) about two weeks ago and he was telling me you can catch them this time of the year. He said ancor and be patient. Anyway, deer hunting was slow this afternoon as well. I should've known....25 mph wind and a full moon don't make for good conditions!

Good luck this weekend. I am sure I will be on the river, so if i see you and Patrick I will stop and say hello!

10. S.Ward

S.Ward New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    "Today I was planning on doing some bank fishing North of Memphis but had a real hard time catching some bait. Finally after trying 2 different ponds with hook and line and a cast net, I managed to put together a total of 5 small Bluegill. With time becoming a factor I decided to fish my usual spot by the Wolf River. I did'nt even get a bite but did get to enjoy a beautiful day outside and had some good company when the Ward brothers stopped by to chat awhile. The River was lower than I've seen it all year and filled with leaves. Seagulls were swarming the barge wakes by the hundreds. Everything was great except for the familar aroma of you know what. :smile2:"

Ward Brother's Huh? I like the sound of that:wink:

11. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Windy was the word for today for sure. :crazy:Water temp was 41. We ended up catching a few so it made it worth toughing it out I guess.:eek:oooh: We had a 9# channel, then 2-10# and 2-12# blues, a 20# blue and a 29# blue. :big_smile:All except 29# were in straight line 8 oz current with depths between 25 and 50'. The 29# came off a dike in probably 50' of water. I guess no one else stupid enoough to venture out.

12. ArkansasCat

ArkansasCat Member

State:
    Batesville Arkansas
    Sounds like ya had a good day of fishing Roger.

What are ya using for bait this time of year?

13. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    jeeze nice fish in your avatar

14. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Brad we were still using some skipjack

15. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
  16. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I just wanted to take this moment and wish EVERYONE a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!:big_smile: Hope everyone has a safe holiday season!

17. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Me and ole Shadguts fished today somewhere near Antartica I am thinking(Brrrrr):crazy:. We struggled for 1st half of day and didn't even get a bite that we could identify. Finally a little after noon we anchored behind a partially submerged dike and caught one about 25#:cool2:. A little later we moved on down to some slow straight current areas and caught another about 29#:big_smile:. Also lost another one which seemed pretty good and had a couple of really other promising looking big fish bites but no hook ups:confused2:. We got our money's worth and saw both ends of daylight on the river:haha:

18. crane

crane New Member

State:
    Paragould, AR
    Well, the deer has been mean to me here lately, I don't think I even remember what one looks like. I can sit in the boat and fish and have as much luck deer hunting as I have here lately. So the plan is to make a winter time bait run and start fishing for some of those winter time bigguns.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year, and be safe on the highways this Christmas season. Warm weather is just around the bend and it'll be time to get after them fishies again!!!:big_smile:

19. iceTrey81

iceTrey81 New Member

State:
    MS
    Haven't been on here in a while and thought I'd stop in and see how everyone has been doing.. looks like some better than others. I sure know I haven't had a bit of luck. Actually that's an understatement. I haven't had any luck since probably August. Once again, being stuck on the bank is enough to make you wanna smack your momma.

Patrick, had any more big boys since the last time we talked? Still waiting for mine!

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas!

20. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    Wassup Trey good to see you again. I managed to catch a few desent ones since last time I saw you but nuthin worth braggin about. I'm saving up for a boat and hopefully by next spring or summer I'll have one. If it pans out your welcome to fish with me on the river. Maybe we can find us a big ol good'un!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.