Mississippi River-World Class Catfishing "part 6"

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by turtle1173, Jun 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Today was an interesting day. Demetrius came over. We did some fishing and then did some work on his outboard.

We met up at the ramp this morning. During the launching of my boat, I pushed on my boat a little too hard to get it off the trailer and proceeded to do a swan dive at the ramp:embarassed: Danny, I can see why you dove in so many times last year. That water was real nice, LOL. So I started the day off a little soggy and humbled by my lack of fish-like agility.

We fished a few dikes and then the revetments. Within about 3 minutes of our 1st spot, I boated our first fish which weighed in at 25 lbs. 10 minutes later I got another one at around 7 lbs. That was all my fish for the whole day. The fish were both real healthy and showed no signs of cuts or scrapes.

Many of our bites were rather frustrating. They would give us the beginnings of a real nice take down and then they would just stop midstream. This happened several times and provoked numerous moans & groans throughout the day.

Demetrius man-handled a 2lb channel and a 10 lb Blue. The 10 lber was all beat up.

We had fresh skips, so the bait wasn't the problem. They were just real finicky for some reason.

Hope you all caught some good ones today!

2. bigriver

bigriver New Member

State:
    Memphis
    Fished today way north of Memphis with Daryl and Jason. The river has cleared up quite a bit and we were able to catch a few skippies off the ends of dikes. We only caught one fish while anchored, but it was our biggest at 27 pounds. It was in 60-70 feet on water. We caught several more drifting deep, but all were 5-6 pounds, except for one nice twenty pounder. Seems like they are staying deep, but at least the bite is picking up some.

3. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Carried over from:

Mississippi River-World Class Catfishing "part 5"

4. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I'm not sure how or why....maybe the planets were aligned just right, maybe the moon exerted some extralunaticular forces......something! I caught fish yesterday!!! In the first hour, I had landed four fish. I had to pinch myself to make sure I wasn't dreaming. I have the bruise to prove it. Speaking of bruisers, my big fish of the day was a drag-peeling, current-busting seven pounds! I caught a few more but they didn't compare to the whopper. :wink:

The water had a reddish tint and there was a lot of debris. I was fishing with frozen skipjack in cut in a dike with 70 feet of water below it. Heavy current. Most hits came from the seam. I was anchored over about 35 feet of water fishing 4 rods at various stages down the ledge. One of my smallest fish hit my biggest bait...about a 3 inch head on a 12/0 circle hook. Worst mistake he ever made.

I hope this is an indication of things to come.....:cool2:

5. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Some action is better than none huh? :roll_eyes: I'm still looking for an indication that I might get to fish. :angry:

6. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Hey Solomon, I'm still waiting for an invitation from you to go chase some redfish. Have boat...will travel! :big_smile:

7. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Don't listen to him Solomon. The man is a Redfish junky and he needs to quit:smile2:. He is always looking for his next fix:wink:.

8. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Anyone who considers redfish as trash fish is welcome to stay out of this conversation :0a19: :happy:

Some people just don't know what good fishin is...:tounge_out: :0a30:

Now, there is some truth to what Randall says. I'm always looking for that next redfish fix...:0a32:

9. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I also know that if the Redfish are not biting he can get his fix by catching some nice big blue point crabs.:roll_eyes:. If Joe ever moves closer to the coast, no Redfish will ever be safe again.:smile2:

10. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Shame I don't go more as close as I live to saltwater. Lately it's been impossible to get away to do any kind of fishing at all. I'd settle for an afternoon of perch jerkin right now.:eek:oooh:

11. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Solomon, you almost sound like a married man with a child. I wouldn't know anything about that.....LOL

BTW we can go crabbin if the reds aren't biting. I have no problem with that......:wink:

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I have to agree with Joe about the reds being fun to catch. Fun to eat, too!

13. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    "If we weren't meant to eat animals, God wouldn't a made em out of meat"

Nice One!:cool2:​

GooManDu, what else you got down there that both of y'all like to catch, speaking of trash fish?

For a falling river, I ain't never seen so much trash! I'm getting ready to try lake fishing today!

14. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Reb, How have you been? Man we have some nice nasty Goo here too.:smile2: We also have some nasty Hardheads that really make my day.:angry: The water in the marsh right now is really salty and they are catching alot of sharks. Maybe you and Joe could come down and thin out some of those trash fish for me before the Fall fishing season arrives. :wink: You guys have a great day.:big_smile:

15. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    :smile2: Being as she's working now, I'm thinking about going ahead and retiring. I got a brand new boat ramp I havn't even used yet. I've cleaned out the boat and serviced the motor, but I havn't got to the part on her to-do list she makes me where it says go fishing. :wink:

16. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    It'll probably be a looonnnng time before you see 'go fishin' on the honey-do list. You just have to convince her that you need to go.

If you figure out a way to retire, please share the information! :big_smile:

GooMan....those black drum may not be worth eating but they sure do make the drag sing. I love that sound! I'm not all that interested in sharks but I hear they eat good!

Man, what I would give to live close to the coast!

17. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Catsandman and I will be fishing at Memphis on Saturday. So far, we've not had much luck on the Mississippi, but we are both still new at fishing that awesome river. Could some of you guys that fish Memphis regularly give us some tips. We really want to catch some hogs. We don't do tourneys or anything so please feel free to share what you know by p.m. if you want.
    Thanks!

18. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Yeah, at least tell us what's really going on, now that the tourney is outta the way....:roll_eyes:

Me and Coach are headed north in a few hours, up above the Arkansas to some hole he's picked out of thin air. I'm taking a camera, so we ain't gonna catch nuthin'...:smile2:

19. 85Dave

85Dave New Member

State:
    Germantown, Tn
    Has anyone been to Pickwick recently to get skipjacks? How are they biting?

20. scout

scout Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey Reb,I hope you and Coach tear them up. Try and leave a few for Joe.:wink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.