Mississippi River-World Class Catfishing "part 4"

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by rwilley3, Apr 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Dave
    I didn't think about it till after my earlier post but maybe he tied that one out last week then added a few 12 oz weights today to get it up a few more pounds. Hah. Just kidding Bobby. For now at least "you da man". Got to get myself into gear I guess and catch up since apparently you haven't been guiding me to where you knew these old big boys live all winter long.

2. bigriver

bigriver New Member

State:
    Memphis
    BK, sorry to hear about your wife's health issues. The doctors have that chemo business pretty well dialed in these days. They know just what and how much to perscribe to take care of the problem cells. We'll keep her in our thoughts and hope she gets better soon.

Yo Danny! You forgot to mention the "falling outta the boat" part of your story. Sounds scary... just think if you were alone... that could be bad. I didn't know who the "Brad" was that you went fishing with until he posted your missing details. Now I know you didn't go showing Brad ALL of our honey holes did you???? You did use the blindfold on him didn't you?

And ArkansasCat, what is this business about "After catching some(bait)" business. That's all you can say at a time when fresh bait is at a premium around here? Could you divulge the type bait you may have caught, and maybe where it might have been caught (don't say "in the corner of their mouth"). Come on man..... inquiring minds need to know.

If we don't get rained out I am taking a coworker out of McKellar this afternoon. The radar doesn't look very promising, but I'm looking at my boat out in the parking lot and I'm keeping my hopes high.

3. 85Dave

85Dave New Member

State:
    Germantown, Tn
    I saw this a couple of weeks ago on a website about Pickwick fishing conditions. Any comments? Is this where our skips went?

"Balls of shad have began to show up on the surface throughout the lake. The majority of balls contain this years hatch, about 1 in. In size. The feeding frenzy that takes place will be mostly skip jacks, however some bass will be below the shad in some cases and can be caught on cranks, rattle traps and carolina rigged plastics."

4. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Matt, you can believe me when i tell ya it skeered the BEJESUS out of me! Facing away from a tug, the wake hit the boat as i was pulling in anchor rope. The anchor i already retrieved since the boat washed up on the dike. The wake hit, stepping back to compensate only to find the dipnet under the foot that stepped back. I still had the anchor in hand hanging from side of the boat. Thankfully i wasn't hurt, but it sure left a lasting impression on me since i seen the river from a whole new perspective.....INVERTED!:embarassed:

We fished everywhere and nowhere in particular. :0a19: It seemed that anywhere we dropped anchor something would bite. I guess you could say it was just fishin, after that layover that seemed like forever just being out there was everything that i'd hoped for and more....

BK, keep doing what your doing. There are some of the best docs in the world over that way and i'm sure they'll do everything they can. We'll be keeping you guys in our thoughts............

Guys good luck out there this weekend. Swing for the fences..............we wanna see them!

5. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Brad.....i forgot to THANK YOU!! Somehow i was hoping to forget what happened, i can see thats not gunna happen. I'll take it anyway i can get it.....It was fun!

6. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Danny, you need to be careful now. Keep pullin that crap and Jo wont let you go anymore :beat_brick: Im glad yer alright. Hate to have to miss ya.

Jim (BK) I am sorry to hear of this news, I know you were worried about it at Mariasac gathering... She is in pretty good hands by the amount of technology there is nowdays. Just be there for her..

Is it time for the bigguns yet Matt?

Mac

7. ArkansasCat

ArkansasCat Member

State:
    Batesville Arkansas
    Now Matt, I just figured the type of bait we used went without saying. Don't everyone use crickets? If ya get out on the end of them dykes, turn them rocks over they are really thick. And it's the black kind too, not them ol' store bought brown ones.:lol:

Hey Danny, can I take this blindfold off yet???

8. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Now that I have detailed instructions on fishing the cross currents(thanks Guthook) and now how to get those crickets to fish with I ought to be ready to pull in some real whoppers. Maybe with all this information being released in such a public forum I am starting to worry about the catfish population in Big Muddy taking a nosedive from overcatching. Lol

9. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Oh you haven't took it off yet? Man my bad.

Pssssssssst, fellas i hit him with the neuralyzer (flashy-little-memory-messier-upper-thing....men in black). :cool2:

10. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Mississippi River-World Class Catfishing "part 4"

11. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    finally got a day off to go fishing .............. 4 fish , 3, 7 ,8, and 12......... fish didn't seem to bite till around 11 or so...........i carried a fellow on his first trip on the misipy ...... as luck would have it, i caught all 4 fish ..... i did let him reel a couple in tho !!!!!!!:wink:

12. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    We fished today and managed 3 fish with an 8# flattie and two blues 10# or a little better each. One of them looked like he had been hit by a prop I guess that was why he was stupid enough to bite our hook. It was a pretty nice day until about noon and then it got a little warm out there but wind kept it manageable.

13. crane

crane New Member

State:
    Paragould, AR
    Made it out today to New Madrid today with my oldest son and gave em a try. The skipjack was on fire today, we fished all day with fresh and still took home about 30 for future trips.:smile2: The catfish wasn't so great, we fished hard from 8 til 3 and could only manage 3. Jordan started out the day with a 24, then a 4, and I finished with a 14 pounder. The 24 was the only bite we had while anchored. The rest were caught either walking or drifting. The number of catfish caught might have been my fault, I was drifting in some off the wall places, like the middle of the river and even some 120 foot water. Missed a few and caught the 14 pounder there, so now I have some new waters to learn how to fish.:roll_eyes:

I heard that matt was up to his old tricks, you know, crickets and cross current.:roll_eyes: Sounded like he had a decent day.

Looks like some better fish are starting to be caught. It's just a matter of time before one of us hook into that biggun we're looking for.

14. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Way to go Jordan!!! Give ol pops a pat on the back for being the net man, thas a good fish! Three fish like that is a good day, well for me anyways.

Daryl, when fishing up there is the river any different than mempho (ie any locks, dams etc)? If you don't mind me asking whas a mo license run? For some reason it just dawned on me that i'd need a out of state license....

Guys i guess matt got ate by a big ol bluecat! Yo Matt, hook any whoppers out of mckellar? I know if theres anyone that can find (good fish) you'd be da man!

Rog,,,,, you still pickin on cripples!!! If i am remembering correctly last winter you nailed a purty blue with a big ol gash along its tail.. Shoot you caught a good flattie, thas sumthing thats been two years in the making for me, i just keep telling myself every trip.....today will be the day....

15. guthook

guthook New Member

State:
    Paragould AR
    me and the brother made out on the river today. with some of daryl's "fresh" bait from the day before. when i opened the cooler and they had a brown tint and were a little soft i knew we might have problems.

hey dave was that you we met behind a dike? we were in desperate need of bait. we thought that might of been you and your dad. who ever that was sure had a nice umbrella that would of come in handy today!!!!:crazy:

we scratched out a few fish with 18, 16, a few 12's with several 10-3 pounders. those little dudes sure were fat. they seemed to bite better/harder later in the day.

16. bigriver

bigriver New Member

State:
    Memphis
    Brad, that insight on the crikets came a little late for us on Friday. I took a coworker out for his first time on the Big River. We cast and cast for skippies on the dike across from McKellar and only came up with one. Little did we know that the bait of choice (crickets) were under the rocks within arms length away.

We only had an hour or so left to fish, so we didn't need much more than that one skipjack, but I brought a couple others frozen just in case. We caught an eighteen and a sixteen, then on our last hole my partner caught a whopper. I'd cast out one good bait then had a miss-fire on the second cast. As I was untangle the mess he hollered that we had a bite. He grabbed it about the time the front eye of the rod went underwater. We dropped anchor and floated on down. i figured it would be a good twenty-plus, but got a good suprise when it surfaced. It weighed 48 pounds. I'll try to post a pic.

Dad and I fished up north on Saturday. We had a tough time finding bait, and most of what we caught were small skipjack. When we finally started fishing we faired pretty well. Our first fish was our biggest and weighed 38 pounds. We caught quite a few more in the teens through the day. And boy was it hot... or was it the humidity... whichever.. it was HOT! We mostly tried to stay in the breeze and fished straight currents.... and of course Roger's favorite... cross-currents.

Today was another battle with bait. I tried every dike between Mempho and Missipy. With four small ones I finally found one dike that produced some decent skippies... about a dozen total. But by then I was getting hot and tired. I tried a few setups and caught a couple in the low teens but no more whoppers.

All-in-all it was a good weekend. Spent more time bait fishing than catfishing... but that's the way it goes sometimes. It's all still pretty fun and it sure beats working.

17. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Danny
    I am like you if I caught a 24# and then one in teens that about makes it great for me based on my typical day anyway. Heck you have had some pretty good days yourself though. As far as cripples I will take them anyway I can get them these days. Until about 11:00 Sat thought I was about to get my 4th skunking in a row even with some fresh bait this time. I think I may have a catfish repellant smell to my hands or something. It seems like the harder I try the worse I fare. My wife says I just want it too bad which may have some truth in it but I ain't about to tell her that. I just knew with the newfound knowledge about where to get those crickets and some good cross currents to fish them in I would catch a whale but it just didn't happen. Matt I knew you were still da man. Shane did you get out Sat? You usually have some pretty good fodder for reading so if you did lets hear it as well. Jason looks like you and Daryl had a pretty darn good day today as well.

18. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Sounds like everyone has been catching some good fish. Congrats everyone!!

Daryl, you all must of been fishing downstream behind that island in the secondary channel. Definitely some deep water there and also a good skippy area.

Matt, I don't know if I even remember what a 48 lber looks like, LOL. Sounds like a great couple of outings!

Danny, a one day out of state MO fishing license runs $5.50. Why don't you plan on coming up sometime soon and we'll go out? I might even let you catch a fish, LOL (Where's Joe at? He can vouch for that, LOL).

I fished with the visiting preacher on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon. I told you about Tuesday's success but Wednesday was a different story. It was blowing 20-30 MPH and we couldn't hardly buy a bite. Had one decent take down that I missed :crazy: but that was it for our 3 hour trip.

I had too much to do Saturday, so I didn't make it out.

19. 85Dave

85Dave New Member

State:
    Germantown, Tn
    Jason, we fished out of Richardson the last 2 weekends. We've got a big, blue umbrella that really helps. We only had one 9" fresh skip that day, and some year-old frozen bait. Someone in an aluminum boat passed by and asked what we were using and I said "Skipjack". They said "You're lucky". Was that you? That old bait doesn't work anymore, so we are gettting rid of it. We threw a few dozen in the water yesterday. Still got another bag to get rid of.

We caugt 3 skips yesterday on sibiki rigs, 2 little ones and one that must of been close to 2 lbs. We tried some dikes but no bites. We tried some cuts next, and caught a 19, 13, 3, and a 2. About 2:30 it was getting kinda warmish out, so we called it a day. This fish were stacked up on the cut seams. We could see them on the depth finder.

I had another one on when I was fishing Rogers cross-current style, but the weight on the spare line got caught and pulled the hook out. It was almost in, but I never saw. It pulled like a 4-5 pounder, but since I didn't see it I'm gonna guess it was closer to 50 lbs. I can do that, right?

Only 2 lines were twisted up, so I'm not sure if I was fishing cross-current style correctly. Aren't you supposed to have 3 or more twisted? Maybe that was the problem.

20. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    David
    It sounds like you had a pretty good day anyway. That cross current fishing is Matt and the Masingale brother's method not mine. I certainly don't want to take credit away from them for it. Hey Matt I really like that term "miss-fire". I think I may try that next time I rare back and sling one of those 12 ounce weights and it stops in mid air and about jerks the pole out of my hand(actually did once). Heck that even has a nice ring to it I may even try to adapt it to some other goof up sometime just for kicks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.