Mississippi River-World Class Catfishing "part 3."

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by turtle1173, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    I would have liked to have seen a 52 lber yesterday. Great fish!!

Demetrius and I had an interesting day on the water yesterday. It was one of those days where things kind of started off where you wondered if it was going to be "one of those days!!"

After anchoring on a revetment bank and fishing for 20 minutes, I noticed all of a sudden that we were drifting (and fast too!). I jumped up to the front to do something with the anchor. Well ... there was no anchor, the line was broken! Now I know some of my anchor rope didn't look that great but I didn't expect a broken rope! So we are hurrying to get our lines in and I'm also trying to start the motor. One of my poles was hung up and as I'm pulling on it, it snaps in half :crying: I couldn't believe it! So we are down to about 60 feet of rope and some of it is a little questionable also but I sure wasn't going in! I tie up my "new" anchor that I built a month or so ago. We fish a couple spots and as Demetrius is pulling up from this spot, the line breaks again.

I can't remember if it was before or after the 2nd anchor mishap but Demetrius got a great hit, picked up the rod, set the hook and started reeling. All of a sudden, his reel falls off! So his pole is bent over and I'm trying to help him get the reel back onto the seat. Ends up his NEW Surge rod had a busted reel seat! To make matters worse, the fish got off and he was hung up.

Aside from that it was windy (very) and cold but we persevered. We fished the rest of the day with a 25lb river anchor and about 40 feet of rope. It was the 1/4" variety too :eek: and not the easiest to pull in. I just knew we would lose the river anchor in the rocks but we managed to get by the rest of the day. We just had to find some spots a little shallower in which to anchor, LOL.

On the good side though, I caught 15, 27, & 31 lbers. Demetrius had to settle for a <cough> <cough> 5 lb Channel at the end of the day, LOL.

I had to remind him at the end of the day that it wasn't that long ago when he caught 178 lbs of fish (including a 47 lb Blue & a 52 lb Flatty) with me fishing next to him catching absolutely nothing!! LOL

Anyway, we had a good day on the river. The north wind kept us from going up to the dikes but we got a little better feel for our revetment bank. By the way, 12 ounce sinkers were necessary for most of the spots we fished. We also got to scout out a few more flathead spots. I think we found a couple of good ones and I'm sure there's a flatty about 123 1/2 lbs in there somewhere, LOL!

2. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Shane, I still want one of those 140-150lbers that are swimming around. Hopefully I can get some 2lb carp;) or 1" rice slicks.LOL

3. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Shane
    Congrats. Sounds like you and Dimetrius stuck it out and ended up with a good day. It seems like you really end up appreciating it more when you stick it and finally catch some fish after mishaps like that.

4. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Mississippi River-World Class Catfishing "part 3"

5. crane

crane New Member

State:
    Paragould, AR
    Saturday was too windy so we didn't give it a try, but yesterday was a different story. My son and I got out yesterday afternoon and enjoyed some of that beautiful weather, the only problem was the fish wouldn't cooperate. We fished 8 spots and only had maybe three bites, not pulldowns, but bites to show for our effort. I guess that goes to show us that what's good for us isn't necessarily good for the fish. Oh well, it was a nice day to be out anyways, 70 degrees and sunny with a 5 mph, you just couldn't ask for any better.

Congrats on a tough but rewarding day Shane. Way to hang in there. It's just a matter of time before you hook into a really good one.:rock-big:

6. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS

Don't sweat it too bad, he did that to me too....:p

7. Rob Heflin

Rob Heflin New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    You said it. The weather has been lovely the last 2 days over here in God's Country, aka the Mississippi alluvial valley!

8. ArkansasCat

ArkansasCat Member

State:
    Batesville Arkansas
    Is anyone fishin the Mississippi river this weekend? I finally got the boat fixed and am thinking about driving over. I have several ramps in mind from Caruthersville to Helena. Just dont know where we are going to put in at and was wondering where you fellers would be fishin.

9. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Shane that is one heck of a story! Sounds like it was "One of those days" LOL! Glad to see yall made it back ok though and were able to save the day!

10. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    ArkansasCat
    I am planning on Shelby Forest fishng north or Richardson's Landing fishing ?. If wind blows like today gonna be lookin for some east west waters I imagine. Good luck to you and others out there probing for Ole Big Boy.

11. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Hi guys, we went out for 4 1/2 hrs or so today. Here in Osceola the water is 8-10 feet above my favorite dikes and the wind was blowing so bad it would make anchoring the toon where we wanted it too much like work. We did wet out lines at a few other spots a little out of the wind but the only luck we had was in the chute upstream from the ramp. Caught a 10 and several 3-4 pounders. All in all was a good 1st run of the year for the toon. Can't wait till we get done with the "cat dominator", it'll be alot less work involved. lol

Yall take care,

Joe

12. 85Dave

85Dave New Member

State:
    Germantown, Tn
    We went out Friday for about 5 hours, putting in at Mud Island. My uncle from Minnesota came with us. He mainly fishes walleye, perch, and northern pikes, so catfishing was a new experience for him.

All the dikes are underwater. We fished several spots with frozen skips with no luck. We were anchoring off the top of the dikes which were about 5'-6' under.

We stopped by the run out from Island 40, and the carp were jumping everywhere. We took some pictures and a short video. My uncle had never seen anything like that. One of the smaller ones ended up in the boat, and ended up as bait on our hooks.

We stopped at one last place across from Mud Island with the freshly caught bait, and started getting some hits. We ended up with a 12, 6, and 4. My uncle got the 12 and 4, and Dad got the 6. Wish he could have got a real hog, but 12 is bigger than anything he usually gets up nawth. Dad told me I'm not allowed to reel in anymore fish until he gets an 80.:crying: ;)

We haven't had much luck lately with the frozen skips. But the fresh stuff is hard to get. Maybe it will pick up soon.

Roger, I'm sure the nets are still out around Shelby Forest. I don't know about Richardson landing. I saw the commercial guys working their nets around Memphis. They weren't having any luck either.

13. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    I wouldn't wish today on anybody as far as fishing went. I got to smell that big ole skunk.

14. crane

crane New Member

State:
    Paragould, AR
    Hey Roger, we smelled the same skunk I think. Talk about knocking the wind out of your sails, that makes 2 weeks in a row, I think we'll be fishing for bluegill's by next weekend.:sad: We can usually catch a few of them with regularity.

15. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Heck Crane
    I should have stayed home and fished. This is the third day in a row that we have ate bream fillets. The kids have caught about 30 or so each dayout of the pond. I even took me about 5 about hand size and tried them live at the river today. We had one(what seemed to be decent fish) break everything off just a few seconds after hook up. Don't know if we had knick in line what. Rest of the day just some taps and not a whole lot of them.

16. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Took the little jon out today and hit the chute, did'nt want to fight the wind again today. We got 5 eaters, biggest was maybe 2 1/2 lb. Was a great day weather wise, and we seen 2 looked to be doe's, come down the bank and swim across. Also got a pic of the roostertail from my little 15hp on the jon, coupla coolers and gear and 2 good sized fellas in the boat to boot.

We were able to motor across the rock dam so if yall wanna try it you can motor all the way to the upper dam above Luxora, have'nt been there lately so I aint sure if you can cross there as well. If ya can you can come in from the north or south. Lotta shad where they load the barges just up from the mouth as well.

Take care,

Joe

17. ArkansasCat

ArkansasCat Member

State:
    Batesville Arkansas
    Well, we got out on the big river Saturday and had a very slow day also. Caught 1 fish and had maybe 10 bites all day and they where just nibbles. I kept thinking one of those rods where going to be doubled over at anytime but it didn't happen. We put in at Osceola and saw Guthook and Crane there. Good to see you boys again. This was our first trip out this year and it was just great having some hooks in the water.

Catter, sounds like you caught more than anyone Saturday. Next time we come over to Osceola we might holler at ya. Had never been there before and still don't know alot about the area.

18. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Just hollar anytime. If everything goes good i'll be fishin a coupla times during the week and every weekend before long. I'll show ya where we usually get shad and a few decent holes when we meet up one day.

Joe

edit: yall don't be suprised if ya find a BOC flyer on yer trailer when ya get back to the ramp here. lol

19. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    Anyone going to MudIsland this weekend? If i'm off i'll be going to watch the weigh-in. Good luck to the bro's that will be fishing.

Joe

20. 85Dave

85Dave New Member

State:
    Germantown, Tn
    We'll probably go for the weigh-in. It's gonna be busy on the river. I bet they get 50-75 boats.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.