Mississippi River-World Class Catfishing "part 2"

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSISSIPPI TALK' started by crane, Jan 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crane

crane New Member

State:
    Paragould, AR
    Here we go again.:) :)

2. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Matt, congrats on another nice big blue. Hopefully me and shane can tie into a few of those next saturday. Hopefully SHane can start another 50lb streak. I see the river is gonna start dropping about mid week and will drop about 2' a day.

3. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Anybody fish today?

4. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Way to go MATT!:eek: Thats a beautiful blue!!! That picture sure fits my quote. LOL Did you guys have to throw anchor or did you manage to bring him in against the current? Last week i passed on the chance to fish around them with them being underwater. I guess i'll have to drag out the big anchor and give them a shot. I've anchored around the front with the smaller anchor and had problems staying hooked, thas the reason i've passed up on fishing those spots lately. The bigun will hold out as long as i can draggin it up. If i can drag up a 65 pound houseboat anchor a 50 pound blue will be a walk in the park. LOL I had to get a second look since i've yet to catch my 50! I'm sure hes a waitin..............;)

Shane, can you remember if the river was on a rise or fall when you caught most of your fish? Or was it both? LOL

I'm hoping i'll get the opportunity this week to get back out there.. It sure reminds me of my first couple of fish on the sip............... A day i will never forget.

Warren, welcome to the board! Look forward to hearing more about cumberland and some monster blues..................

5. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Danny, most, if not all came on the fall. Also, all my big ones came above the dikes when they were submerged. Although I did get that 47 lber at the end of June when the dike was out of the water (and the 30 lb Flatty).

I'm going to do some "experimenting" this year with how far from the shore I fish (above the dikes). Last year, I more or less let the current dictate how close to the tip I anchored. I was only half way out then. It would be worth knowing if staying out in stiffer current (closer to the tip) would result in better fishing or if closer in is the ticket. <sigh> More research is needed, LOL!

6. bigriver

bigriver New Member

State:
    Memphis
    Roger, I fished for a few hours on Sunday. The debris was so bad that I threw in the towel at about noon. There seemed to be stuff everywhere and it made fishing a real pain. Hopefully with the river falling fast, all that debris will get flushed on downstream.

Danny, the current above the dike was very slow. We could have gotten away with 4-6 ounces. I guess it had something to do with it being the last in a series of dikes. We tried the next dike up, but the current was swirling too much. And also tried the uppermost dike, but the current was too strong.

7. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Well Matt you still did better then me by just going. As I sat in the blind that morning and the wind really wasn't bad like they predicted and we weren't killing anything nor seeing much I really wished I had went fishing. Our duck hunt Sat. ended up about like my season. This seemed like the worst I remember in the 35 years or so I have been going. I know a few guys who finally did okay this last week but as our season usually goes around here it seems if we have cold weather up north (like we actually had in December) we don't have water and once we get water no cold weather. Oh well now I am ready to get back to full time hard core fishing.
    Roger

8. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Not much to report today. I got out for around 3 1/2 hours. Lost one in the 20-25 lb range. Caught one that weighed 15 lbs. The main river was cleared of a lot of debris but the cuts were holding a big amount.

I guess the best news was that I caught some nice shad today. I had 5 that were 10-12" long! I haven't caught any like that in quite a while. Of course I caught a bunch of 4"-ers also.

Beautiful day out and a great time to be out there with my 3 year old son. He had his Scooby Doo rod with the orange fish practice plug. I imagine he cast that thing 100 times today, LOL. He would make 5-10 casts, stop and take a drink of his coke, take a lick or 2 of his candy sucker he brought, then go back and make some more casts, LOL.

Can't wait to get out there again!

9. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Shain, Sounds like you are teachin that youngun right. Will make a fine catman someday Soon. Cant wait for my Grands to get old enough to fish!

10. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    I'll second that mac. He'll be reeling in all those bruisers for long! Shane sure sounds like you guys had a great time. Where did you pick up that fish and bite, dike, straight line, cut?

There's a little work to finish on the boat and i'll be out there this comin week. Sho wanted to be over there this week, yesterday was my only day somewhat free and it had to rain all day. Next week i'll just have to make up for it.;)

Mac, hows that boat coming along?

Any of you guys goin out this weekend? Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Its comin along Danny, Just lack Registration, Insurance, a little tweeking on the trailor. Can't wait to get it in the water!:) You get some rod holders?
    Mac

12. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Danny, the one that got off was in a very large cut. The debris was very tough in there. I was anchored in 45 casting in probably 60 feet. There's 100 foot water in there but I would have had to get out and walk to it, LOL. Too many logs to get any closer than I was.

The fish I caught came out of 80 feet of water on a different cut. This cut had virtually no debris and I was able to hold just like I wanted to. Boy, don't you love it when that happens! LOL

The only other spot I fished was a drop off. It goes from 27 feet down to 65. The current was moving good and I used 10 ounces on all my poles. I got a hard hit on one pole (bam!) but that was it. I'm sure circle hooks were the key to that spot, LOL!

13. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Well we made a day of it today and fished from a little after 7 till a little past 4. The main problem was there was not much catching to speak of. Ended up with 3 fish with the largest probably topping out at about a scale busting 5#. We didn't have two of those until about 3 or 3:30 so I guess we proved sticking it out and looking for that "magic" spot till the very end pays off(hah). It was also a little chilly out there today with the wind blowing like it was but I had some good company and the laughs were pretty plentiful so made for a good day anyway. Does anybody else have any "good" fish stories to share from today?
    Roger

14. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Roger, i'd take a five pounder anyday compared to sniffin the butt of that "skunk". LOL Here lately the only thing my cameras been taking pictures of is tugs! :rolleyes:

Mac, it sure looks great! All them hours last year is gonna pay off. Right now i'm without an arm, leg and part of my tail. I went with the cabelas since they lock in the upright position. So the rods will be off the deck. I've lost one set up last year with the rods laying on the deck, i'm a bit more careful now!

15. bigriver

bigriver New Member

State:
    Memphis
    Danny, I wish I had a better report for you.... but things were slim pickens this weekend. Fished Friday and Saturday and was so tired of being cold and fishless, that I stayed home on Sunday. Water temps were around 46 degrees. The floatsome was bad on Friday, but gone by Saturday. Grand total for the weekend was four in the 1-3 pound range and a 12 pounder. The wind gave us the most trouble both days, but we still found a few places that looked good. But the fish didn't cooperate.

Shane, glad to hear you had a fun trip with your boy. I got my little boy out for his first fishing trip on Friday. He just ran from the front to the back and back to the front.... all day. Between rounds of licking himself, he licked up all the skipjack blood that dripped in the boat, so that I guess that was an advantage. Mostly he just barked at the floating sticks.

16. dudlbugr

dudlbugr New Member

State:
    Cleveland, AL
    Hey, everybody. Congrats to you Matt on your last good fish! I'm hoping to do some fishing next week.

You better watch out for letting him lick the skipjack blood! If he's anything like mine, he'll develop a taste for skippy, and the next thing you know, you'll cut a skip into 3 pieces, put the head on one, cast it out, reach for the bait and see baby boy licking his chops with a smile on his face! On the upside, though, he's always up for stopping by a dike to check for skippies!

17. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Welcome back Reb! Good to see ya back on the board.

Matt, that sounds really familar! A good romp on one of the closest sandbars always takes the wind out of sister most time. I guess she burns off some nervous energy.

The work on the boat is finally wrapped up so tomorrow or fridays looking fishy! Gotta see what ol man winter has on his mind first......

18. bigriver

bigriver New Member

State:
    Memphis
    Has anybody fished around here in the last few days? Danny, did you ever make it over? You had said that you might make it over on Thursday or Friday. If you did, I hope it was Thursday, because Friday would have been a tough day to be on the river. It started snowing here a little after noon. We ended up with about four inches of wet snow. Luckily no ice.

The roads were clear today, but I decided not to fish and the wife and I drove up to Reelfoot in search of eagles. We didn't see any eagles, but we saw all the ducks that Roger and Jason been chasing all year. We watched one hole that the ducks loved. They piled in there by the hundreds. It was a sight for sure. That's a refuge for ya. We got snowed on pretty heavy too. It was cool seeing the snow showers come across the fields.

If the wind lays I might give it a shot tomorrow, after it warms up a bit. Next weekend I won't be able to fish, but the forecast is for temps in the sixties. Sure wish I could be there.

19. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Matt
    I wanted to fish today but my boys and my preacher roped me into going crow hunting. It was pretty fun and we ended up killing 14 and shot at quite a few more. I at least thought it would be neat to be able to say I fished when there was 5" or so of snow on the ground. I hope to be out there next weekend though. I think Bobby is out of town next week as well so maybe with you and him both gone there will be some retards in the river for me to catch. Sorry you didn't see any eagles. There has been one up around Shelby Forest and I think Bobby has saw a couple just above Jimmy Woods. All the ducks here after season closes well don't that just figure?. The deer have been out in herds as well in the fields these past couple of weeks. My oldest son went gone coon hunting in this snow since tonight was the last night of the season. I had told him they were wasting their time but youthful exuberance won out and they went anyway. He just called and said they had killed one and were on their way to another place. Man what I would give to have their kind of energy again. Anybody else get out there today?

20. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Matt, the only thing i ended up catching was that flu thats goin around:mad: . The flu shot i got earlier in the year must of been a little late kickin in or this is a different strain. It was almost 10 oclock when everything got wrapped up on the boat wednesday. Thursday mornin was tough! After the meds and fluid started flowin good i almost went out friday and now i'm sure glad i passed. The body achin is gone and all i'm left with now is a stopped up knoggin. A few kleenex's oughta deal with that.

Those eagles are a sight to see. Theres a lake here close to the house that has a few. We were easin down the field road on a fourwheeler headed on down to check out the river. A hooj juvenile flew up and i quickly realized it wasn't a hawk. The size alone was a dead giveaway. We got to lookin and in one of the cypress trees had a hooj nest bout the size of a lazyboy recliner! Ran home and picked up the camcorder, when we got back a mature eagle was in the nest. After getting some good film one of the farmers stopped by and told us a story about when the juveniles first hatched. He said they were running around all over the field road and figured they must of fell out of the nest. He was sure surprised they made it.....

On a good note, the rodholders really gives the boat a superclean look!! Everythings topped off and ready to go, only thing that it needs is bait in the cooler. If the wind will hold, i'd sho like a "couple" days good fishing!:) Gotta make up for some long overdue fishin.

Anyone get out this weekend? Coach, i know you been fishin, any whoppers??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.