Mississippi River - Woot Woot!! My curse is broken.

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Jun 24, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Launched Saturday morning at about 6:45 am for my usual Mississippi River skunk-fest.

Fished all day and only caught a gar and a drum. Tried tailwaters, wing dikes, shallows, barges, pilings etc...........

Had never been on the river after dark so I decided I would just stay. I anchored an easy boat ride from the ramp though because I was alone and a little worried about being out there.

Caught 5 catfish (dinks) and an 11lb 8oz blue. Some of you guys would call that blue a dink but thats fine. I had a blast getting it to the net by myself in the dark.

Oh yeah, lost another good one when I broke my line.

Anyway, I am stoked and my new boat has a little more fish slime in it and that, my friends is a good thing.:big_smile:

I fished for 17 hours, man I'm ignorant.

2. TeamWhiskers

TeamWhiskers New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think you are putting too much pressure on yourself and trying to force it to happen catching a big one. This happens quite often in a tournament situation for many. Just go out and relax and enjoy the great outdoors. Mental attitude does have allot to do with your fishing routines and how you fish. You will be jumpy and over anxious. Slow down which is hard to do at times. Let the fish take your bait instead of trying to set the hook at the first strike. It is all part of the fishing experience from the first nibble and bite to knowing when to start thinking about setting the hook. Dont beat yourself up over it all. It might take a season to catch a trophy as luck will play a part of it also. Being in the right spot at the right time.

3. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    :eek:oooh:The one time I didn't go along. Ratz!

4. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Congratulations on your catch. It justifies those few bucks you spent on that SeaArk!:big_smile:

5. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Way to go, Man! Sounds like a fun night to me. Those 10 pounders are a blast to catch--they can really pull. I'm assuming that you were in the pool below Winfield? Where did you launch from?

I did not get out this weekend at all but last weekend got out, launching below Alton. Nothing for a little bitty ole' drum there for me.

Next trip for me will be Thursday night. There will be a full moon out then which, despite what all the fish calendars say, has always proved lucky for me. I'm undecided as of now, Winfield Pool or Alton Pool.

6. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl

Dan, I fished below the Winfield Dam. That made for an easy boat ride in the dark back to Sandy Slough. I used the boat ramp in the slough because it's $1.00 cheaper than the other one plus I don't have to trailer the boat in the river current. Cut shad was what worked for me but as I said, I got no action during the daylight hours.

7. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey everyone,

Just in case you think you are seeing double (or that I have a split personality), "Piperat" who posted in this thread also is in fact my identical twin brother.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Nice work Darryl!!!! I told you that you would find them. :cool2: Keep at it. In due time you'll have that pig floppin around next to that new boat.

9. catfishgranny

catfishgranny New Member

State:
    illinois
    nice fish going out later hope i get lucky and catch a nice one

10. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Good job Darryl. I am sure it is the first of many good night fishing events for you. Just keep us all posted and tell us all what you did so that weekend warriors like me can copy-cat your tips and catch some too!

CP

11. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Way to go Darryl, an 11 ½ pound blue is a nice fish, congratulations, I know you’ll experience that pumped feeling for quite a while. The ramp at Sandy Slough with be out of the water in another month which will be some prime fishing time. Do try to relax though as Vince suggested, get to know the river, your boat and equipment. Use your GPS, mark some waypoints, get to know what it can do, all of this is a learning curve, then when the fishing is hot you’ll be better prepared. The fishing will break loose, any time now… till then learn and enjoy the river, it’s an awesome place to be.