Mississippi River will rise significantly by next week...

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by FREESPOOL, Aug 22, 2007.

1. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    With my first night fishing trip planned below the melvin price dam for Friday, should I be concerned about this? http://www.crh.noaa.gov/product.php?site=LSX&product=ESF&issuedby=LSX
    Looking at the river level forcast. It looks like from 7PM Friday night to 7AM Saturday morning, the rivers supposed to rise about a full foot.
    Should I be concerned about this? I'm guessing theres going to be some debris in the river? Anyone have any experience being out on the river with the water rising so rapidly? It's supposed to possibly reach flood stage by next week.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The forecasts all show the Mississippi is coming up about 8 to 10 ft over the next 6 or 7 days. That quite a rise. Get out there early before it rises very much and you might do OK. But once it's up high, I'd expect the fishing to get tough for a while, if you can even get on the water at all.

Once it comes up much more, the river's going to be full of trash (trees, Buicks, etc.) so you'll probably have a hard time getting around, and will end up spending most of your time getting the trash untangled from your lines.

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Marty hit the nail right on the head. First couple days of a rise can be a phenomenal bite. After that, the fish get scattered and hard to catch. They will be up on the banks in the weeds having a nice buffet and they sure get hard to catch. I usually wont even fish those conditions. If an 8 ft rise is in the works, there will definitely be a alot of trash floating. Guess I'll spend my off days this week doin honey dos so I can have some kitchen passes saved up for when the river stabilizes. :smile2:

Yall be carefull out there and Tight Lines....

4. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    clarksville tailwater has gone from 16.92 at 5:00pm to 18.18 at 9:00pm good jump but i think its kind of fast i agree fish will move out real quick to follow the bait fish to get out of the way

5. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Dan, you'll be find just use common sense when your out there, move down river from the Dam if its to rough for you theres numerous places to hide from the current & trash. What time were u planning on arriving, If it was my first time i would get there while there was some sunlight left and take a look around.

6. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Yeah, I'm planning on getting out there about 4 or 5. So I should have some time to get a feel for it.

7. duck_killr

duck_killr New Member

State:
    il
    The high water level on the mississippi river is sending me way up the missouri this weekend. Be careful if you are heading out. Trees in the river are like sharks. The ones you dont see are the ones that will get you. I smoked a tree about 40 mph two summers ago in my old boat, not a fun time so be careful and good luck.

8. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    Well, I don't have to worry about hitting a tree at 40 mph. I have a pontoon. LOL. Top speed of about 22 mph on the GPS. :smile2: I hope we catch some fish. I've been looking forward to this for a while now. It figures that the river is gonna rise like this. And now the forcast is calling for possible T-storms. :angry: Work with me here!!!! I need to fish!

Dan

9. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I was originally going to put in at the alton marina ramp and lock through. I'm having second thoughts on that though. Not sure I want to lock through after dark. Where can I put in below the dam? Is it columbia bottoms? Where is that?

10. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Tell me about it Dan, I have a friend in town for a couple of weeks and we were hoping to hit the Mississippi Friday night. But, I'm not brave enough to be out there on the big Miss. with the water rising as fast as it looks like it may. So, now I'm thinking about maybe trying Saturday morning early...if the storms hold off till later in the evening anyway. I was already out on the Mississippi once this year during a downpour with heavy lightning and I don't really want to try it again.....Should of figured it would happen though, fish with Kutter and it rains. :roll_eyes:

11. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    Dan, i'm heading out tomorrow but think its going to be a little later than u going out otherwise u could follow me over to Columbia bottoms. So here some directions: not sure which direction your comming from but get on I270 and turn north on riverview drive and continue north for about 2-3 miles the entrance to Columbia bottoms will be on your right, follow the blacktop road to the boat ramp. U might want to check the ramp below the dam before going over there but w/ a pontoon I'm not sure its going to work?

12. FREESPOOL

FREESPOOL New Member

State:
    Edwardsville, Illinois
    I thought the ramp below the dam was columbia bottoms.. LoL What is that ramp called? Which ramp do you think isn't very good for a pontoon?

13. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    sorry about the confusion, the ramp below the dam is maple island access it can sometimes non-accessible depending on river levels, Columbia bottoms access puts u on the missouri river just about 1.4 miles from the conflunce of both rivers.

14. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Looks like the river will be topping out on Friday. Does the river hold alot of debris useally after its been up for a week? Was thinking about trying to get out Friday night, but not looking to go out and run into a tree. :eek:oooh:

15. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO

I wouldnt fret on locking after dark. There is so many lights on that lock and dam its like being in daylight. Use your VHF to contact the lockmaster, or just pull the rope at the end of the lock wall and wait for the green light and horn blast. Its pretty bright in the auxilliary lock chamber at Alton. I retied my rigs without any boat light last time I went through. All the warnings about the trash are all too true. After 10 years out there on the Miss, I'm still amazed at the stuff I see floating down the river. One could outfit a large home on most high water days out there.