Mississippi River - Where are the catfish

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by Billbo, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Billbo

Billbo New Member

State:
    Andalusia,IL
    been out for 2 weeks since the water started to drop
    nothin but gar bites in the rock from steel dam 2 missippi
    where they at?
    when the water was up we were getin 10 - 13 pound chanels did they do they'er winter feed already?

2. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Everyone knows when the dog wood trees start to turn that it is time to go to the fall tactics. The river is full of all kinds of baitfish, so we will have to switch to something tastier to entice them. This time of year, you always carry 8 baits until you find what works. Go to smaller baits like gut pockets and wrap filets around them using treble hooks for the eaters in the 5 to 10 pound category. They will soon start to hit on baits like shrimp and soaked shrimp with various substances like blood, anise and vanilla. Crawdads in cover work very well. Carry a can of oysters with you to hit the clam and oyster beds. I will use a two hook combination of the oyster and shrimp on one pole to test the waters.

When you guys get into turkey hunting season.. Save the blood and livers. Makes for great blood bait and soaking the shrimp with a vacuum sealer. If not , just use it for a scent dip for your usual shad and skipjack. Or shoot up a several worms that will give them the flavor adding a trailer.

Just stick with it. Use combinations will be the key until you isolate what is workingÂ….

3. bgmg

bgmg New Member

State:
    illinios
    Good luck recently with channel cats on creek washouts and rockpiles near main channel on the Miss. Wing dams still pretty good too.

4. Goofy

Goofy Member

State:
    Moline, Illinois
    Wood and edges of flow on stink bait still producing for me. I fish for one to three pounders to fillet. Largest on stink bait was near seven pounds. Like those small ones.

5. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hang in there. Fall is here. Water cooling down and they should be turning back on very soon. Meanwhile, get back out the Carhardts and dust em off. Your going to need them before long.

6. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hey anybody in the LeClaire area want to show me where to do some catfishing? I boat from LeClaire to Cordova and just havent been having much luck. I could also use an occassional fishing partner. Any takers?

7. bgmg

bgmg New Member

State:
    illinios
    Duane,
    I fish out of LeClaire frequently. There are plenty of good spots nearby. Try the flats, which average about 9'-12', between the I80 bridge and the island upstream of the bridge with the house on it. There are some nice holes in there where the depth increases to 15'-35', just cruise around a bit with your depthfinder on and you'll find them.
    Seems like a lot of guys fish there with stink bait and get tons of eaters. I usually use cut shad or skipjack - fairly common to get nice sized fish in that area.
    Can't give away all the good spots, but there's a start for you.:big_smile:

8. Goofy

Goofy Member

State:
    Moline, Illinois
    Billbo, fished out of buffalo Weds. AM caught eleven between pound and five pounds. Friday caught six between pond and two pounds. In your slough on wood in five to nine feet of water on stink bait. Friday opened the gates water rising and trash in flows. Good Luck!