Mississippi River vs Missouri River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by SkipEye, Jul 5, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Ok, this might be a tired old subject.

I had two seperate guys last night caution me about the hazards of the Missouri when I mentioned wanting to try it out.

Both of these guys have no problem going onto the Mississippi. They said the water is harder to read (on the Missouri) with the submerged dikes etc.

What gives? Can it be that much more dangerous or hard to interpret if you pay attention?

Now, I am worried about it.

Wanted to give it a try somewhere between St. Charles and the confluence.

Oops, this should have been posted in "Missouri Rivers",sorry

2. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Darryl, it is apples and oranges when talk'n about the two. From the confluance up the Mississippi it‘s dams - controlled currant - pools… The entire Missouri River here in our State down to the confluance then south thru our State is totally another world. This stretch of river is by far a faster and stronger currant worthy of any caution given. Plus the Missouri has I’ve found more of the asian invaders due to not being able to commercial fish it. This is Missouri, so checking it out yourself would be the best education but I would wait till it drops some. The Columbia Bottoms ramp is designed the right way for a river, down with the currant. It’s just a little over 3 miles up from the confluance. Enjoy the day in a boat ride, just be careful.

3. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Until you get really good at reading the water on the Missouri, 12 inches deep looks just like 30 ft deep - the water is so muddy you can't get any sense of depth or shallowness, and the current looks pretty much the same in deep and shallow water.

The river isn't particularly dangerous if you're careful and take steps to minimize the risk. Learn how to read navigation signs and stay in the channel and you'll be find. Leave and enter the channel at right angles rather than just heading off thattaway toward the dike you want to fish.

While the dikes are covered, it's especially dangerous - you don't know if the dike is 6" under or 5 ft under, though there are some clues as they get closer to becoming visible again. But stay in the channel while moving fast and go slowly when looking for a spot to anchor near the dikes and all will be well.

And wear your life jacket.