Mississippi River This Saturday

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by SkipEye, Dec 5, 2007.

1. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Folks, I am FINALLY getting out on the river this weekend after my two-month work-related hiatus.:big_smile_2:

To top it off my brother piperat has resurfaced out of the woodwork and is going along.:big_smile:

So........ we'll be looking for stacked up Cats in the deeper holes but other than that any recent experiences to share on what the best tactics and bait might be?

Without giving out secrets of course.

2. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    dont know about the Mississippi Darryl. I been fishing the Missouri at Weldon Spring. My choice of bait has been whatever I was lucky enough to get in the net. It has been a nightmare. The best I have done in a while was yesterday. I got a big asian and 2 small shad the first hour. Good news is both baits worked. I caught 4 fish. 17, 9, 7, and 1 1/2. they were in slow current or just off the current rip. Wish I could help you more. They are either still scattered or just not biting.

3. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Daryll... You did look at the weather report fot this weekend didn't you.. If you can fish in that then You DA Man..

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hick, the high is going to be 47, the low is 42, with winds of 10mph. Other than a measly 40% chance of scattered showers it doesn't sound too bad. Do you know something I don't?

Heck, Dan is supposedly out there right now. So...... Dan is the MAN!!!! :smile2:

5. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Good luck out there this weekend SkipE.....I mean Darryl!:big_smile: I'm sure it's been hard on you not being able to fish. I'd LOVE to be able to go this weekend, but I don't feel like bank fishing either.:eek:oooh:
    I wish February would hurry up and get here so I can get my new boat.:roll_eyes:

6. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Gary you don't have to fish from the bank your always welcome in my boat, just let me know when your available and we'll get out there. No need to wait till February. As for Saturday Darryl where you putting in at? I'll have to check and see what my schedule is to if I can go

7. graftoncatfisher

graftoncatfisher New Member

State:
    illinois
    went out sunday and caught 4 fish nothing big caught all the bait i needed at piasas creek

8. russ

russ New Member

State:
    dexter. mo
    i went out last sat., down at new madrid, had to jump around for a while untill i found them. they were not in the deep holes around the wing dikes. i found them near a deep hole, the hole was 70ft. deep. i moved to the inward side of the hole to 30-40 ft. got a lot of fish no monsters, the biggest one was 22 pounds. i tryed to put a few lines out in the deep part of the same hole didnt get a bite. so i would try the deep holes but if no bite try moveing inward , seems that they were around the the holes but not in them, hope this helps. good luck out there.

9. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Gary, Mike, we can't decide where we are going but we need to figure it out soon. Your neck of the woods is a long haul but we are considering it. Maybe we could take both boats if Mike can bring his or Gary, you could ride with us. Trying to sort it all out. Considering Ole' faithful Alton area though because it's only an hour from home. Also considering some deep holes above Mel Price but I don't feel the same quantities of Blue Cats are up there even though there are some PIG Daddies if you can find them.

10. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    If nothin changes my mind I would like to go to CB one day next week Bill and Gary. I would like to go during the day if at all possible. I'm scared of the dark you know. You guys are welcome. Just let me know.

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Same here to any of you guys. I'm eyeballing the weather and have vacation to burn, so if a nice day pops up mid-week anywhere I am considering heading out too.

12. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    If you guys want to head down this way to fish, I'd be more than happy to let someone use my card at our boat club to launch. I'm sure we can find some fish. I'm gonna have to see what my work schedule is, they are talking about making us work on Saturday, but not sure yet. From what I've been hearing from the locals, the fish are still in about 30ft of water. That could change any day though.

13. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat as Gary....I'll find out tomorrow if I'm off Saturday or not (I think I'll be off) If we can use the boat club I'd gladly head down there to fish, if not I'm all for meeting at Columbia Bottoms. It's a lot nicer public ramp then the one at Truman. What about you Cuz? no urge to hit the water? It looks like it's gonna be a high of around 50 on Saturday with a chance for showers ( I don't mind getting a little wet) as long as we don't have high winds it looks like it could be a good day to fish.

14. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Good luck out there guys. Wish I could sneek away and go but dad duty calls. I look forward to reading the reports and seeing the pictures (take lots of pictures) I will be doing some serious keyboard fishing(tm):sad2:

15. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hey Ryan, send us some skippies and you'll be with us in spirit.:smile2::smile2::smile2:

Just kidding........well, sort of.:eek:oooh: Well, bait is hard to come by you know.:wink:

All kidding aside, everyone is welcome. If anyone wants to gather up, post here or PM me. The more cold fools the merrier. Misery loves company.

Kinda looking like it's gonna be Mel Price for us. I sure have some other spots I want to try but man it's cold. De Soto is an hour and a half at least but if Gary, Mike or anyone else wants to shove off we'll discuss it.

I need to quit being so wishy-washy here and pick out a final destination, geez.

16. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Well I can tell you one thing but can't speak for Cuz, his boat looks like a set of Legos! It's all disassembled and in a "million" little pieces! I'm sure Cuz has a strong desire to be on the water but needs to re-assemble his boat first! :big_smile:

I would like to get out there this Saturday but I'll have the little girl all weekend. I am itchin to get out there and set the hook into a pig though!

17. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Skippy spirit huh...that sounds interesting. I tell ya what, if you are going down to Sci Fi and will repay the favor then come on by and pick up a couple bags.

18. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Darryl, if you go to MP I have a couple spots that you should check for bait. You'll be catching shad and asians with an occasional mooneye.

I know your aware of the creek that flows in from the IL side. Just upriver from that behind the abandoned barge is a water pipe that flows into the river, I can almost guaranty (spelling) you'll catch some shad there.

There is another water pipe down river from that near where they work on the barges. It's behind one of those "tri-pod" thingy's, If you go slow you won't miss it!

I threw my net at both of these spots a couple weeks ago and had more shad and asians then I knew what to do with, in fact I threw some back in, the asians were dead of course!

If you have any other questions give me a holler, the mooneyes have moved away from the rear of the barges for some reason, I've been finding them in about 12-18 foot of slack water, but they have been very difficult to find.

19. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Believe me, Ryan, you came across my mind right about now. I'm so used to the luxury of fishing with you and Cuz, because you guys are stocked up on skippies. Never thought about the bait factor. I know for a fact, all my bait spots are dry with the river being as low as it is. Mike, we can use the boat club's ramp no problem. My guess is, if these fish decide to go into their wintering holes, we stay off the Missouri and hit the Mississippi hard.:wink:
    Hey RYAN!!!!!!! BAIIIIIITTTTTT!!!!!!!! I'LL REPAY YA!!!! I PROMISE!!!!:smile2:

20. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Hey Darryl, I don't know how far you guys are from Troy, but i can go from my house to Troy in an hour if I hit no traffic driving the speed limit. The ramp is in Festus, about 20 min shy of DeSoto.