Mississippi River - The one that got away

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by FishinginDavenport, Jun 10, 2007.

1. FishinginDavenport

FishinginDavenport New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Took a lady friend fishing for her first time this afternoon. We boated up to the Cordova area, set her up with new pole and reel, put on a worm hoping she would catch something. I hadn't even got my leech on yet when she had a strike. Fought it for about 5 mins, got it alongside the boat and then when I reached to grab it (yea, no net!) it broke the line. Was at least a 5 and I'm guessing 8 lb cat. Didnt catch a thing the rest of the afternoon.

Will get a net tomorrow!! Hey any Iowa folks want to show me some of the areas closer to LeClaire?

2. skyguy

skyguy New Member

State:
    iowa
    Hey this is my first post on here!! Anyway, enough of that fanfare... I've fished many of the wingdams between LeClaire and Clinton, mostly for walleye, but when the action for them is slow, I've anchored and gone for cats on most days out too. There's a million small channel cats on those dams it seems, and most times I usually hook into a few much larger fish. Most of the big fished hooked have been from casting to the top of the wing dam, and letting the bait rig flutter just over the crest of the top. I've unfortunately been going with too light of tackle for these larger fish and have been broken off most times...may last time was with 17lb Trilene with the drag singing. Anyway the fish are there... Cheers.

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    WELCOME TO THE BOC ANDY LOL

4. FishinginDavenport

State:
    Iowa
    Welcome Andy..I could sure use some help for two reasons. Not knowing the fishing area since this is my first year with a boat and 2..How to fish some of these dams etc. I will send you a private message.

5. skyguy

skyguy New Member

State:
    iowa
    Hey guys! Thanks for the hello/s to a nubie on this site! By the way, it says I can't reply to a private message (PM) untill I post 10 times... so I'll get back to you in a while I guess. I did recieve the message. I've really only fished the wingdams between LeClaire and Camanche for a few years and only a few times per year. ( I don't get out much ) But, I did grow up here and have pretty much fished the big river off an on my whole life. I'll let you guys know of anything I know, but am trying to learn more than anything. I just got my first boat this past spring, so most of my knowledge is from being a passenger rather than the captain! All I really know is I love to fish.

6. FishinginDavenport

State:
    Iowa
    Thats fine Andy. When it gets to ten drop me a line.. I think I put the phone number in it (PM). Went out yesterday near the I-80 bridge and caught a couple cats. One was 3 lb 10 oz. Got it home and it was a female full of eggs. Apparently the spawn has happened yet for all of them.