Mississippi River South of St. Louis 5/27

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Malichi1970, May 28, 2007.

1. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Went looking for a new place to fish the Mississippi from the bank last night. Found a spot that was easy enough to get to and looked promising enough at first. Got our poles set up and settled down for what I thought was gonna be a long night. We weren't there for more than about 20 minutes when a giant splash hit the water. In the dark we thought it was a fish and right away got excited that we may of found a great spot. Soon after that we figured out what had made the splash......a large river otter. Swimming around, going under water and reappearing right where we were fishing! Then there wasn't one, but 2 of the darn things and they were wrestling in the water. They moved closer to the shore (which scared my girl friend to death almost...lol) and we could see these things were about the size of medium dogs easily close to 40lbs. each. They eventually moved off for awhile, but eventually came back. We didn't stay for more than a couple hours after seeing them. Didn't even get one bite the whole time we were there. But, it was kind of a pretty night with the lights on the river from the barges and the upclose wildlife show we enjoyed ourselves.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Sounds like you had a good time. Where was it you found?

3. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    In Lemay off of Broadway, we turned by a Shell station I think it was Davis street. It dead ended at a business and we followed the tracks down a bit and seen an area we could get down the bank at.

4. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    thanks for the info. I live down that way and was wondering was it any access to thr river. it got to be more so i'll keep looking and keep you posted:smile2::smile2:

5. catfishgranny

catfishgranny New Member

State:
    illinois
    where i fish its the beavers i like to watch

6. cpalombo

cpalombo New Member

State:
    Nashville TN
    Mike,

Otters this spring, Beavers in the summer... you should sell your catfish gear and go into fur harvesting. You have a knack for attracting the sea mammals. I am just waiting for the post where you tell us that you caught a manitee (I cant wait to see tha pictures on that one).

BTW, I CPR all my manitees. I am told that it brings you good luck for the rest of your life. (I hear that if you kill a manitee, you get stabbed by unicorns before the following full moon)

CP