Mississippi River smallmouth bass

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by grinnel, Sep 3, 2007.

1. grinnel

grinnel New Member

State:
    Pool 25, Mississippi MO
    I fish crank baits along rip rap banks in the Mississippi river quite a bit for flathead every year in July or so. This past year, in two outings, I must have caught 10 or so smallmouth bass. All of them were relatively small, less than 8"s, but none the less, it surprised me to catch that many. I've always known they were in there, and have heard stories about guys catching them up near Hannibal, but I had never caught one myself until this year. I was curious if any of you other folks had noticed this as well.

I talked to a conservation agent about it a few weeks ago and he said it seems like about every 6 or so years he'll here of guys catching them on a more consistent basis...

Here's a pic of one them I caught...

Grinnel

Attached Files:

2. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    It looks like he's having trouble finding food......man he's skinny. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be a better fishery than it is with all of the food available. The TN river, on the other hand, provides some of the best smallmouth fishing in the world. I'm curious as to what the rest of the brotherhood has to say.

3. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    John, I have picked up quite a few large and smallmouths pull'n cranks along the rip rap... mostly up around Hanibal for the smallies :smile2:... a few in the northern part of pool 25... I use a steel leader due to the zebra mussels, this is a big factor for water clearing and the growth in the smallmouth fishery up north, if we continue to see more here then look out tenn. on this up and coming fishery here.

4. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Well that is a nice bonus:big_smile:.

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Very nice Smallmouth.

6. SKYNYRD

SKYNYRD New Member