Mississippi River - Skip jack and white bass

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by poopdeck [patrick], Feb 27, 2007.

1. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Any one been going to chain of rocks? I figure the skippies and white bass should be biting soon.

2. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    hello patrick, I've haven't been down to chain of rocks since last fall, I stocked up on skippies when I was down at pickwick man were they fun to catch. About chain of rocks, I heard that it would be closed from sunset to sunrise, & then i heard that there would be no snagging allowed after sometime in april. i don't do any snagging myself but i bet alot of people aren't going to be to happy if what i heard is true. have u heard anything?

3. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I went there a week or so ago, but it was too windy and cold to fish. I didn't see anyone fishing yet. I agree with you that the skip jacks should be hitting soon. I will be glad when they do. I have heard the same thing about the new hours and the snagging, but I don't know for sure. It looks like they are trying to gear that area up for bike riders because the bridge now is only one lane and you have to wait on both sides for the green lite before you get to drive over. I can see that being a potential problem in the future unless you are riding a bike.

4. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Do you mean the bridge over the canal? I may drive down there today and check it out.

I would not doubt it if they end up shutting down the whole fishing area. They don/t care about us fishermen.

Another problem is all the drunks, crackheads and other trouble makers use it to party. Over the years there have been murders, bodies dropped off, fights, rapes ect. I think the police get tired of being called out there.

5. eflow

eflow New Member

State:
    IL.
    I was told that fishing from sunrise to sunset was going to be allowed. As for the one lane brigde i think thier just paving it with concrete i thought? I think the best thing to do is contact the site supervisor @ horseshoe lake or call reigon iv office in alton 618-462-11811.

6. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    I went to the Dam 2day to try for some skippies... Windy and cold.. All I did was snag a bighead carp and broke my sabiki rig.. geeze.. No skippies yet.. the water was real muddy.. The water above the dam is real low again..... Then I went to the chain of rocks... too much wood in the water to fish for skippies there right now... windy and cold there too... I must be getting old huh...

7. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    where exactly is this place and can i catch em from the bank i would be coming from granite city area

8. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Heading west on 270, take rte 3 south to 1st light and turn right.. Go over bridge till you see road closed sign.. Last gravel road on left turn left and follow to parking area and low water dam.. Yes you can fish from the bank there..

9. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    are they bitting yet

10. TEAM CATTER

TEAM CATTER New Member

State:
    COLUMBIA,IL
    I went uot there and did catch one.

11. Fishhead1

Fishhead1 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Eric
    I was below L&D 26 yesterday.

River is muddy, cold, and fast.

No sign of skipjack anywhere up there although there are lots of Mooneye and Goldeye up there and of course tons of Bighead and Silver carp.