Mississippi River Pool 26 (L&D #25)

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Beckman, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO
    How's the bite been around Winfield lately or Pool 26 for that matter? :confused2:Haven't been out yet this year but getting out this week and weekend for some bluecat fishing. Usually pretty solid bite in June. Any info would be great. Thanks.

2. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Not in my part of the state but I wanted to welcome you to the BOC.

3. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO
    Hey Thanks Bluejay...happy to be on a site that is so informative.

4. wanna be catfisher

wanna be catfisher New Member

State:
    mo
    went to clarksvill last friday caught one cat. was small. caught over 50 drum. cat arent doing much it seems. fish cuiver river daily and havent had much luck lately.

5. Andy52

Andy52 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I'm new to this forum but have been fishin' the Winfield Pool for 30 years.
    Now your answer, I've been out 4 times in 10 days and have done VERY good. Took 13 channel and one Flathead home Tues 6/2. All fish were from 2 to 6 lbs. Hope that helps

6. ultramindbrk

ultramindbrk New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Fished Winfield 4 times this year so far..Caught one nice channel..All the rest were tiny.A couple of weeks ago the carp were biting using worms.Caught a few nice size ones.It was a fun day none the less...Last time I went,nothing but gar..It's my go-to spot when I don't wanna drive too far..

Btw..If we are talking about the same spot,I love the boaters doing 300mph through there..Good times.. :confused2:

7. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO
    I went out Friday evening and caught a 15, 10 and a 3lb blue. Fished just up a couple of miles above MP L&D#26. Water was moving pretty good with grass/leaves in it. The bite seemed to be on shallow sand flats and could only get them to hit on sonny's and cut shad heads cause my frozen skips wouldn't work. Majority of the fish caught in about 3-8' water. :big_smile:

We did; however, miss a couple of really big ripper bites.:angry:

8. Shutupandfish

Shutupandfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Been fishing above clarksville, bite was good about two weeks ago, i really think the blues and flats are starting to spawn. Went out the past two weekends with no luck, its seems as though the channels are biting but thats not what were looking for. I think the bite should be picking up in the next couple weeks. If anyone has had any luck, please share the technique. Good luck to all

9. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Went out last Friday, the fishing was off from the week before. Took home 6 channels and one flathed 2 to 8lbs. All the channels were female, no swollen headed males. I'm assuming the males are on the beds now? Will be out tomorrow I'll post how I do then.

10. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Went out this morning. Hit the water at 5AM The forcast was calling 95 so I though a early start would be best. It got brutally hot out there today. Hot, humid, and a low front moving in, what more could a catfisherman ask for. It was a very good day. 10 channels went home with me and they were a little larger then last time out. All of them were above 3lbs and most in the 5 to 8lb class. Only one disappointment right before the sun was coming up I set up on a rocky point and hooked a large fish. I had a good hook set and thought it was mine. It seemed like a good flathead by the way it fought. Well it found a brush pile and that was the end of that. But It was a very good day!

11. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Sounds like a great day Mark and appreciate the report... was wondering what bait was favored today and were they caught fairly shallow in the morning... also I've found as it warms up quickly in the morning the bite seems to slow, was that your scenario or did the bite keep going with the front moving in? Again, thanks for the report, when we share the day's expericence here then all can benefit. :wink:

12. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Thanks Mike
    Will help if i can. The bait I used was nightcrawlers and cut Mooneye. Both seem to work equally well. I was fishing pretty shallow right along the rocky bank lines adjacent to the deep water of the main channel. The river had raised about a foot and was still raising when I was there. Also caught some on the back side were the water was overflowing the rocks creating a rip rap. The cats were laying just behind the rocks. I stayed until 11 AM and the bite never fell off, it just got to hot for me. Can't say what it would have been like later in the day. However I do agree with you that as the day heats up the bite falls off, for the most part. That's one of the reasons I hit the water early and don't stay really late. I'll be heading out again this Thurs. 6/25 it should be a good day high around 91 and a low front moving in I'll be on the water at 5 AM.

13. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO

Thanks so much for posting Andy. I was on the water Friday for most of the day and evening. Caught a 30lb bluecat and a mess of good sized keeper channels. Caught the blue on mooneye and the channels on Sonny's no less. Bite was ok and the fish were still scattered. Caught some of the rock wall on the Illinois side and caught some fish downstream by the cuivre confluence in relatively shallow water.

14. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    I rarely fish the waters south of the dam anymore. Reason being, I catch more fish in the Winfield pool north of the dam and there are considerably less boaters. The Mississippi between Winfiled and Alton is just to crowded for my taste. However I do know the area of the river that you are talking about. I'm guessing you launch at the MDC Cuivre Island ramp off Dabow road? I'll be out day after tomorrow and I will let you know how I do. Probably won't have any big cat tales to tell. I don't set out to catch them as much as I have in the past. I go more for the "keeper channels" as you call them. If I want line screaming, drag smoking action I can catch Grass Carp in the 20 to 40 lb range 10 to 1 over the big cats.

15. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO

Agree with ya Andy as it does get crowded from the tailrace downstream to Alton. I too love eating those nice sized channels. I've never tried above the Winfield pool but I'd sure like to sometime. :wink:

16. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Now Bill, are you fishing for catfish or an invite...Ha. But really I've got someone going with me this Thursday. However, before this fishing season is over your more than weclome to come along with me for a day.
    I'll show you what Little I've learned over the last 30 years here on the river. It might take...let my see here....about 45 seconds! Just kidding.
    But your welcome to come along sometimes if you like.

17. Andy52

State:
    Winfield, Mo.
    Just got back off the water. It was a little slow today only brought home 6 channels. The River is up about 2 feet from last week. Water temp. between 81 to 84. Caught most of the cats on cut shad. Lots of junk because of the rising water. I was dancing around logs at 5AM this morning. Makes me glad I have a jet drive. But all in all it was a nice morning.

18. Shutupandfish

Shutupandfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It seems as though the bite is picking up, i have heard that the bait of choice is cut Carp. ALot of quatlity fish being caught. Not really sure how its going to be this weekend with the water coming down so quickly. good luck. Let us know how you do.

19. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    where is a good put in ramp above the dam?? thanks.

20. slider

slider New Member

State:
    louisiana, mo
    theres one a mile or so up from the dam on the missouri side
    when ya get to the stop sign in foley head towards the river
    been a long time since i put out there i do rember it can be
    shallow

later
    slider