Mississippi River Pool 13

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by Brian Moyse, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Brian Moyse

Brian Moyse New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    Does anyone know the ice conditions on Pool 13?

Dying to get back out on the water this year!

Thanks,

Brian

2. tmbragg67

tmbragg67 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Brian. I can only speak for the far upstream portion of the pool- by Bellevue. A lot of ice cleared out overnight and today the river came up a bunch (1-2 feet? I need to check the Corps' website), flushing all the ice out. Still a little ice along the shore in spots and some of the backwaters. I've haven't driven south yet to see where the ice ended up, but the river is fishable up here.

Tom

3. Brian Moyse

Brian Moyse New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    Thanks for the reply. Have you been out yet?

4. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
  5. Brian Moyse

Brian Moyse New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    Thanks for that. I use that website alot in the fall because I duck hunt quite a bit on that pool, but I have never noticed the water temperature on there. Thanks for pointing that out to me!

Brian

6. tmbragg67

tmbragg67 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I haven't been out yet. I might get the boat in the water over the weekend to check out how it runs and maybe join the walleye guys for some bumper boat action in the tailwaters. I'll probably wait on catfish until the water temp starts moving up. I need to figure out where to get some shad. Does anybody sell them down your way?

7. Brian Moyse

Brian Moyse New Member

State:
    Rockton, IL
    No, I don't know of anyone in that area that sells shad. I live about an hour and 15 minutes from the river. I did see a bunch of shad in an area last year on 13, so I bought a cast net and will give that a try this year.

Funny thing was my son and I just started fishing over there about 2 years ago, and more so last year. Well, we caught twice as many fish on crawlers as anything else. We actually caught a nice flathead on a crawler last year. We tried cut bait (suckers, maybe shad will be better), stinkbaits, etc but crawlers worked the best on channels. Go figure....

Brian