Mississippi River photos - The Flood of '07

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by MississippiJugHead, Mar 24, 2007.

1. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They said that the river was up but I had to see it to believe it. Consider me a believer. This is near Elsberry MO taken today (3/24/07)

Attached Files:

2. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Looks like it's up a bunch, I remember in the mid 70's it got really high there too.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'd say ya all got some high water! Didn't realize it had rained that much over there or is part of that snow melt?:crazy:

4. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Thanks for the info. and pictures Gary. I ramped at Elsberry a little over a week ago, hoping to find some crappie due to the high water. Heard it later crested then heard everyone saying how low it is before hitting the locks. Gonna be interested to see the results from that volume of water passing thru when things return to normal. I'll be out checking the channel edges and sand bars to see the change. Till then, I hear MTL a call'n

5. catfishn72

catfishn72 New Member

State:
    WhEELING,WEST VIRGINIA
    dont think i would want to go thru that.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I hate it for the property owners, but i love it for the Catfish spawn. These conditions make for a great fry hatch success rate.

7. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Update...

While the docks are still riding high the water has receded enough to reveal 3-4 inches of Mississippi River mud on the concrete deck around the trailer. I know that before they "controlled" the river the floods would nourish the farms somehow. Does that mean this mud is good for gardening? I know that they say to stay out of the flood waters as its not healthy.While I was wading around in water (oops) I noticed an oil like film on some of the water. This makes me think the mud might be less than healthy afterall. Anybody know?
    Finally, I had a few favorite spots that involved wooded structure. That wood is probably in New Orleans by now so I am wondering if there will be new stuctures after high water or does it take a while for them to build up again?