Mississippi River North of Minneapolis

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by Mike1, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Mike1

Mike1 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have done well over the years fishing Channel's both below and above the Coon Rapids Damn but for the pastyear I have found myself boatless for the first time in my life. Iwould love to discover a few more fishable shore spots. The wife and I enjoy camping the rivers too within a couple hours of Minneapolis. We've been to the St. Peter/Mankato area and as far north on the Mississippi as Park Rapids. Again, I know a few spots, but I am amazed at how difficult I am finding it to locate publicly accessable stretches of the river. Either there are no roads that run close enough to make feasible a walk down to it or it is developed or otherwise private property.

I've wanted to try the Red River or Minnesota out west, but am really apprehensive about making such a drive only to discover I cant find a spot to camp along the shore.

If anyone has some areas they feel comfortable sharing with me, i'd sure appreciate it.

Mike-

2. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You would have to look up on some of the local sights, and people might share some info with you. I fish by boat all the time, I'll try to keep an eye out for spots that might be good.

3. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

if you want eaters the croix offers probably the cleanest fishing and actualy good sized fish. the park at stillwater is a good start. if you got a state park sticker you could go try the park by the falls. otherwise the best shore spot is probably under the 94 bridge but its suposidly state highway land and i was asked to leave once. the channels there approach 15-20lbs. but its snaggy. suckers are the ticket.

4. Novaxs

Novaxs New Member

State:
    Oceanside Ca.
    I am not from Minnesota, my girlfriend is though. I have fished the river in the Red wing area a few times. I caught everything from walleye,striper, and LMB, to channel cats, carp and sheephead.

A tip for when looking for new fishing spots. I use Google maps. The satellite view can be real helpful when scouting for areas that are to far to drive just to scout.

I like i said i am not from Minnesota, but i use that trick all the time when i am looking for or planning a trip to a new fishing spot.